Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcraig8 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 07:17 PM
    Cpvc supply lines - securing before drywall?
    An odd question, I have framed my new laundry/half bath in the basement, all eelctrical ready to go and am ready to extend the plastic water supply lines for the future toilet/vanity. Question though, with this type of supply pipe, is there a need to secure it similar to pictures I have seen of copper pipe (usually a 90% angle secured to a cross brace between studs) and then have a more rigid outlet to come out of the drywall? I'm eager to get drywalling as but don't want to have to rip it out later. Any help would be appreciated as always.:)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 4, 2006, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dcraig8
    An odd question, I have framed my new laundry/half bath in the basement, all eelctrical ready to go and am ready to extend the plastic water supply lines for the future toilet/vanity. Question though, with this type of supply pipe, is there a need to secure it similar to pictures I have seen of copper pipe (usually a 90% angle secured to a cross brace between studs) and then have a more rigid outlet to come out of the drywall? I'm eager to get drywalling as but don't want to have to rip it out later. Any help would be appreciated as always.:)

Hey Craig,

The cross bracing between the studs to secure a stub out is called backing.
    Of course you must secure ALL TYPES of water pipes with pipes traps and backing. If you don't secure the pipes in a wall with pipe straps you will have rattling insid the wall and if the stubouts aren't backed and strapped they can be pulled out of the wall. My advice? Strap and secure ALL installations in the wall both plumbing, electrical and AC/heating ducts before you began drywalling. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pvc vs cpvc [ 14 Answers ]

I am looking to replace old metal underground fittings and valves supplying water to my house. The main supply line to the house after the water meter is 1" metal, which branches off with four 1" x 1" x 3/4" T's. I attempted to find a manifold to replace all of the fittings but no luck, so I...

Can I run Supply lines in outside wall [ 2 Answers ]

I live in NJ and am remodeling a bath. Can I run my supply lines to the shower in an outside wall? If so any recommendations or hints concerning this?

Cpvc [ 3 Answers ]

ortmanprop Newbie Join Date: Sep 2005 Posts: 0 Using CPVC -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- HI,

Plumbing: old drain pipe, supply lines, curb [ 3 Answers ]

I've completed the demolition of my old shower, but am puzzled now. I am on a slap foundation. My drain pipe is not centered, and it rises about 2 inches off the slab. It does not appear to have weep holes, and I cannot remove it. Is it necessary to have the weep holes, and does it need to be...

View more questions Search