Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulpaul1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Cold water fine hot water brown!
    Hi,
    I just moved into my house and it had a well put in a couple of years ago. So we move in and go to use the hot water and it is BLAcK.So we put bleach in the well because the house sat for over a year with no one living there,and I let it sit in the pipes for 24 hours and then drained it until I could not smell anymore bleach. My HOT water is not black anymore but it is brown. My cold water is fine. Will someone please help me?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 06:16 PM
    May have to flush you water heater sounds like sediment
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 29, 2008, 07:13 PM
    I agree, flush the tank, don't just drain it. Flush until the water coming out the drain spigot is clear. Tell us if the color or smell return.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 29, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Hey all...

Paulpaul1:

Everyone agrees. Start by flushing the water heater... not just draining it!

That means you need to hook a hose onto the drain at the base of the water heater and with cold water shutoff OPEN full (just leave shutoff alone)... open the drain and let it flush for 5 minutes or so. Should be quite a show, too... ;) .

I would do this a couple times... letting sediment settle a bit in between flushes.

Then open a faucet/valve without an aerator.. such as a laundry tub faucet or a tub spout so that any sediment in line can be released without clogging any faucets!

If, after this, in a couple days, you still have discolored water get back to us. May be that you also have issues with the anode rod of the water heater.

How old is the water heater..?

Anyway.. let us know what happens.

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Low Cold Water Pressure in Bathroom Sink, Hot works fine. [ 2 Answers ]

I have read many of the threads regarding low cold water pressure, but haven't yet found one that specifically applies to the bathroom sink. The house was built in the early 1900's, but was renovated in 2005 so it has copper pipes which cant' be much more than 2 or 3 years. The sink has separate...

Lost Hot Water Pressure but Cold Water is fine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We had a flood in our laundry room earlier today when the aquarium I was siphoning into the nearby sink started to siphon onto the floor instead (the hose came out of the sink and was draining water onto the floor). I didn't realize this, and suspected a leaky pipe when I saw the water...

No cold water at 6am but fine at 9am [ 4 Answers ]

I have a shower in the basement (two knobs 1.cold 1.hot). At 6am the cold water trickles but at 9am the cold water works fine. Hot water is just fine. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

View more questions Search