Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grandma Syria Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Gassy Septic Smell In My Bathroom
    I have a horrible gassy smell coming out of the master bedroom bathroom. It smells like a gassy septic tank. I have pinpointed the smell around the toilet. However, the odor is so strong that one can smell it when entering the bedroom. I live in a mobile home, and the second bathroom is perfectly OK. Can someone suggest something?

After researching a little further, I think my vent pipe might be plugged. Can anyone suggest how to go about finding this out?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 24, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Is it the kind of mobile home where the black water and gray water has to be drained ?
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

May 24, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Does the toilet flush properly and do the sinks and lavatories drain properly ? How about the tubs and showers ? Usually a clogged vent will cause drainage problems. It could be a faulty wax seal underneath your toilet has failed and is allowing sewer gas to vent back into the house. Let us know about the drainage GOODLUCK, AC

May 24, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ac101
    Does the toilet flush properly and do the sinks and lavatories drain properly ? How about the tubs and showers ? Usually a clogged vent will cause drainage problems. It could be a faulty wax seal underneath your toilet has failed and is allowing sewer gas to vent back into the house. Let us know about the drainage GOODLUCK, AC
    The toilet flushes properly and everything drains very well. I believe it's the wax seal which I am going to repair. I hope that works. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know the results!

May 24, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Great keep us posted

May 24, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ac101
    Great keep us posted
    I replaced the wax seal. How soon does the smell go away, because it still smells a little.

May 25, 2008, 08:07 AM
    I would say the smell should be gone in about 24 to 48 hours maybe sooner depending on size of bathroom and how well the room is ventilated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stinky smell from my bathroom or septic system [ 2 Answers ]

My house has its own sewage system (septic tank) and the house is only 2 years old ( built in 2006). Starting last week, we smell horrible smell from our first floor powder room and one of bathroom on second floor (this two rooms share same piples of the sewage system). All other three bathrooms on...

Septic smell [ 4 Answers ]

We have a septic field at our vacation home and every time we stay there (which is weekends only) the 2nd. Or 3rd. Day we get a smell in our bathroom for about a half hour or so. We have tried chickern fat and skins as well as septobac but the smell always comes

Gassy smell in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

We recently had all new pvc piping installed under our tub by a licenced plumber. We are now experiencing a gassy smell in the bathroom. What is it, and is there anything we can do ourselves without calling the plumber back out?

View more questions Search