Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosebud08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 10:05 AM
    One of my toilets not completely flushing
    My upstairs toilet is not flushing the toilet paper or any matter that is floating other than sinking in my toilet. Why all of a sudden is this happening and what can I do about it?
    2B4Ever Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

May 19, 2008, 10:19 AM
    I would call a plumber!

Did you try plunging it?
    Or add water into the toilet to help make it flush?

Maybe you have something jammed in there... Do you have little ones? Maybe they dropped something in there and tried to flush it away?

Just call a plumber?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 19, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Several issues can cause this so lets start by diagnoising what may be wrong. Check the tank to see if it fills properly, it should fill to 1/2" of the top of the white overflow tube, if not adjust. If the tank fills properly let's check that it gets a chance to totally drain when you flush, should be about 1" of water left in the tank when the flapper drops back to close the drain. Try plunging with a toilet plunger and you may need to check the small holes that wash water down the inside of the bowl under the rim. Last but not least my all time favorite, stick your finger into the snall 1" hole down in the sump area of the toilet and make sure there is no build up of crud. Come back and tell us where you are at after this. 2b4ever, I think the poster wants help and advice how to DIY, not just calling a plumber, that's what we are here for.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 19, 2008, 10:30 AM
    I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. Hope this helps . Tom

May 19, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Several issues can cause this so lets start by diagnoising what may be wrong. Check the tank to see if it fills properly, it should fill to 1/2" of the top of the white overflow tube, if not adjust. If the tank fills properly lets check that it gets a chnace to totally drain when you flush, should be about 1" of water left in the tank when the flapper drops back to close the drain. Try plunging with a toilet plunger and you may need to check the small holes that wash water down the inside of the bowl under the rim. Last but not least my all time favorite, stick your finger into the snall 1" hole down in the sump area of the toilet and make sure there is no build up of crud. Come back and tell us where you are at after this. 2b4ever, I think the poster wants help and advice how to DIY, not just calling a plumber, thats what we are here for.
    Hmm? OK I thought I was being helpful when I said about plunging it or adding water to flush.
    If all else fails call a plumber:confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 19, 2008, 10:43 AM
    No, you were being helpful and I don't want to dicourage you from posting. Punging and adding water can be part of the diagnois but Tom, Speedball1, is a plumber and I'm a repair expert. We can help folks avoid paying for simple repairs.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 19, 2008, 10:52 AM
    2B4Ever,
    Twice you advised the OP to:
    I would call a plumber! Just call a plumber?
    We don't do that here. Why? Because it makes us look like we don't have a answer and that they should call a "real plumber".
    We ARE real plumbers here with real answers. If they had wanted to call a plumber they wouldn't be here asking how to repair a plumbing problem. I hope I've explained our position to your satisfaction. Regards, Tom

May 20, 2008, 09:13 PM
    Yes you are right. This is just new to me. My apologizes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Toilets Not Flushing [ 2 Answers ]

We recently purchased a 20 year old 2-story house in Las Vegas. 2 of the 3 toilets, I think on the same pipe because they are right above and below each other, were having lots of trouble flushing. We have a homeowner warranty and they sent out a plumber. The plumber replaced the entire toilet...

Completely lost [ 6 Answers ]

So... I've never been faced with a situation like this. I currently have a child with a woman who is leaving me for another man. I need to know what sort of rights I have as the father of this child when it comes to visitations/custody and what things I may be faced with in terms of child...

Bad smell when flushing toilets [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bad sewage smell when flushing all toilets in the house. The house was built 2 years ago on a slab. The toilets flush normally, water levels are good, only once did we have a clog which was remedied by a normal plunger. Each time we flush we smell the sewage. No smell comes from other...

And now for something completely different [ 84 Answers ]

Yes that's right Boys and Girls, step right up and... Ask Me Anything The Rules Ask me anything you want that isn't to do with this site and I will answer in a style of my choosing. That's the rules done, now what are you waiting for? Ok I know it's on the wrong board, but this is...

SEPTIC:sulpher smell when flushing the toilets [ 6 Answers ]

Hello Every time I flush the toilets, I notice a sulphur smell emanating from them. Sometimes it is stronger than others. I notice it in all three toilets. I have a two story house with no basement, and a septic system with a drain field. I only notice this in the toilets, not with any of the...

View more questions Search