Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsg712 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 05:04 PM
    Bubbling Toilets
    I have been having a problem with all of the toilets bubbling. I have been able to fix the problem with a plunger but the problem keeps recurring. Today the toilets started bubbling and I was only running the washing machine. Again, the plunger fixed the problem. Last week while trying to plunger the toilet, the water backed up in the shower. I tried drain cleaner but I'm still have the same problem.

Is this a problem I can fix with a snake or should I get a plumber in to clean out the entire system.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 26, 2006, 12:59 AM
    First of all, bubbles (as opposed to gurgles) is a sign of a [partial] blockage. So you're on the right track here: yes, a snake will help - if you do it properly, that is. Although you ask about it in the end of your post ("Is this a problem I can fix with a snake"), I noticed no mention of any previous attempts to snake the drain. Do you actually have a snake, and do you know how to use it? If you do, get back to us and we'll talk specifics about how and where you should be snaking from. If not, well... it ain't going to help much to know how to do it if you don't have the equipment... ;)

Cheers,
    Moishe
    jsg712 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2006, 04:33 PM
    I have the equipment. Where do I start?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 28, 2006, 05:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jsg712
    I have the equipment. Where do I start?
    That's a good question. Before you can start you gave to know where to start. City sewer or septic tank? Locate the cleanout out side your house. It will be directly above where the sewer exits the house and not over 18" from the foundation. When you locate it, open the cover and cycle the wash machine. Is there a puff of sewer gas and a backup out of the open cleanout? If so that's where you'll snake from. One last thought. If you're on a septic tank and it needs to be pumped this will give you the problem that you're experiencing. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bubbling toilet [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, We have a super capacity washing machine and when it goes through the spin cycle the toilet bubbles in. When the cyle is finished the water level is lower than when the wash started. The first flush after the wash is finished is slow, is then it goes back to working great. Any...

Bubbling toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a two story apartment. I noticed that when the people above flush their toilet, I can hear the water run down and my toilet bubbles up. This sometimes throws out a little bit of water. The apartment complex has had plumbers come out twice, but I still have the same problem. Any...

Air bubbling in toilets [ 3 Answers ]

For the last several weeks air has been on and off bubbling in toilets and shower drains. When no other water is running. The toilets at times are slow to drain but completely flush or back up. They seem to work fine for several days after being plunged or having chemicals and snaking done to the...

Bubbling from toilet [ 4 Answers ]

I have a single story slab home. Washing machine in attached garage. Two bathrooms with the toilets backed up to each other on the same wall. Also city sewer. I notice every 3-6 months, I'll notice 2 problems, not necessarily at the same time. 1.) I'll wake up and notice that my bathtub is...

Toilets bubbling; drains backing up--Help! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I've seen some problems similar to the one I'm having, but mine is slightly different. Our home is a little over 20 years old, and about 6 weeks ago, we started having some plumbing problems. Our toilets began bubbling, occasionally overflowing, after flushing, and the drains in our tub and...

View more questions Search