Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pompopei Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Tying 2" drain pipe to perpendicular 3" drain line under slap
    I want to avoid a 90 degree bend under slab. However, I have to reduce from the 2" pipe that drains the WM to the 3" main drain line, and the reducing tee I find has a very small sweep. Do I need to use a reducing combination wye and is there such thing?
    pompopei Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Do I need to bring 3" under-slab drain up to 4" code?
    If I dig out a small section of the basement to connect a 2" WM drain to an existing 3" drain pipe coming from an upstairs toilet, can I leave the underground pipe at 3", as it is, or do I need to upgrade to 4" which would require me to dig out across the entire basement to the main waste line to the street?

Thanks for help
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 4, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Hey Pompopei:

Leave the underground at 3"...just be sure to connect 2" washer drain to the 3" using a 3"x2" wye fitting..ok??

When you come out of the ground with the 2" drain use a 2" long sweep 90 (see pic.) and add a 2" dandy clean out (also called a test tee) just after coming out of floor (see pic.).

The washing machine drain itself needs 2" ptrap, 2" standpipe out of ptrap between 24"-30" and an 1.5" vent that connects into other vent in the house.

Here is a picture of what drain should look like (or at least similar)... (where the TY fitting is that picks up sink on right... you should install the dandy clean out there)... ignore the sink drain and vent on right of picture!!

And that standpipe coming out of ptrap into the washing machine box needs to be increased a bit (24" to 30").

Let me know if need more... Mark
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 4, 2008, 04:41 PM
    You need to use a 3" x 2" WYE fitting (see pic.) or a combination wye 1/8 th fitting (sorry, no pic... but resembles a very longgggg sweep TY fitting......NO tee fittings of any kind allowed underground.

See your other post...I answered more of your question there.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tying in to old 1/2" CPVC line [ 3 Answers ]

If I want to ty in to a 1/2" CPVC pipe (warm water line) that is a few years old, how do I clean that connection?

4" in-house septic drain line [ 1 Answers ]

We bought a house about four months ago and the line from the house to the septic (4") has stopped up at least 3 times. I used a very flexible "snake" to unstop it the first two times and it worked for awhile. The last time, I used a very heavy duty "snake" to purge the line. I finally got through...

Convert 1 1/2" tub drain to 2" shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

We are replacing an existing tub with a shower And the building architect asked us for a written methodology For the new trap installation. We can not access the apartment below or cut into the concrete Slab. Can we raise the shower bed? And can someone Help to descripe what the plumber would...

Explosed 3" drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of installing a bathroom over an existing slab. The floor joists are 2x8pt. I have approx 5 1/2" of space between the top of the slab & the bottom of the joist. I want to run the 3" drain line through the outside wall, 90 down 10"(w/ a cleanout on top), then 90 out to the 4"...

How to run a 3"drain pipe [ 5 Answers ]

The relocation of my upstairs bathroom requires the change of the 3" abs drain pipe. The pipe starts at the toilet, after approx. 3 feet of horizontal run a 2" shower drain is connected with a Y-piece. Then after another 2 feet is a 1 1/2" sink drain connected with another Y pice. After 1 foot of...

View more questions Search