Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cvsampat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Replacing water pressure regulator with union joints
    I have a water pressure regulator which is not regulating pressure. I gauged pressure at around 90PSI. Is changing regulator is as easy as unscrewing the two union joints on both sides & replacing with a new one?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 1, 2008, 03:10 PM
    CVSAMPAT:

Basically... if you can find an EXACT replacement... it is almost as easy as changing 2 union nuts!

However, it may not be THAT easy to find exact replacement.. or if you do find an exact replacement... they may have changed things up a bit.. like threaded on one end and union joint on the other... :p

So, see if you can get a model number off the regulator.. or shut off your water main shutoff, drain the pipes, loosen the union joints and take the regulator down to the local PLUMBING SUPPLY HOUSE... see what they can do for you (keep any washers you find in union nuts in a baggie or something in case they don't have replacement readily available).

If changing this out with an EXACT replacement regulator, just be sure to PULSE the water main on for a couple seconds to remove any sediment before installing the new unit.

If no EXACT replacement, then ask the guys at the plumbing supply house what they can recommend for you....maybe they can help you to complete the job using SHARKBITE type fittings (see pic.) or similar and adapters.

Hey, let me know what you end up doing... glad to help... Mark

Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where do I locate the regulator valveto adust the water pressure in a mobile home? [ 3 Answers ]

Where do I locate the regulator valveto adust the water pressure in a mobile home?

Low hot water pressure through the whole house even ater replacing water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I'm still experiencing low hot water pressure even after replacing the water heater. When you first turn on the faucets the pressure will be fine but within a few seconds it drops again.

Pressure regulator failure - caused by water heater? [ 3 Answers ]

I had a plumber from our home warranty company tell me that the pressure regulator that failed wasn't covered because sediment in the hot water heater caused the failure. He didn't even look at the hot water heater which is less than 1 year old. Sediment is the only thing not covered on our...

Poor Water Pressure throughout House - Regulator Valve may need adjusting? [ 3 Answers ]

We are experiencing poor water pressure. We have lived in the house for about 2 years and have never had great water pressure. I noticed what seems to be a regulator valve of sorts on the main line coming into the house (see picture) and was wondering if I can adjust this valve to increase the...

View more questions Search