Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raf4444 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Water Softener - black sand-like substance?
    I was cleaning my water softener and it was full of a black sand-like substance. Searching the net and asking around at my local stores, no one was able to explain what this was.

I had a company come clean it 2 years ago and am not sure what they put in it...

Anyone have any clue of what this is?

Thanks!
    rosharo Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Assume you are cleaning the brine tank of your water softener? If you use rock or commonly called crystal salt, it is mined. Whatever dirt, gravel, black stuff, is in the ground, comes out when you put it in your brine tank.
    Solar salt is cleaner. Pellet salt is the cleanest but best if you have a platform in the bottom.
    Retired... 30 yrs in softener service/sales
    Rosharo
    raf4444 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rosharo
    Assume you are cleaning the brine tank of your water softener? If you use rock or commonly called crystal salt, it is mined. Whatever dirt, gravel, black stuff, is in the ground, comes out when you put it in your brine tank.
    Solar salt is cleaner. Pellet salt is the cleanest but best if you have a platform in the bottom.
    Retired...30 yrs in softener service/sales
    Rosharo
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Constant running water noise, old water softener pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

When we bought our house, it came with a decommissioned water softener in the laundry room. The pipes behind it (I'm assuming in and out) were capped off with plastic plugs that toggle back and forth. If you're familiar with Dr. Dolittle, I'd call it a pushmi-pullyu setup. (sorry, I'm an admin, not...

Furnace flu duct has sand like substance [ 2 Answers ]

This is my third year in my house and have just recently noticed that there is a sand like substance that runs up the flu from my furnace. My question is should there be a sand like substance in my flu duct. I am sure it has been there since I purchased the house and never really looked that...

Low water pressure new well pump is it the Water softener? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, again I called a well service Co. and they replaced my well pump. It was barely functioning. Strangly the pervious install was a 220 volt pump and it was connected to 110, and it worked. That pump was about 20 years old. The new pump is a 110 volt pump. My problem now is occasional...

Hydrogen sulfide in water - due to water softener? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I've been trying to determine the source of a rotten eggs smell that was coming from our sinks and shower. At first I thought it was coming from the drains, and that it had to do with the septic system and/or plumbing pipes/vents. However, I have since determined that the source is the...

Black substance in the sink drain [ 3 Answers ]

I noticed that my sink drain is covered with some black substance. Same thing covers the stopper. I remove the stopper, clean it; it stays clean for several day, than this substance grows up again. Any idea what is that and how to fight it? Thanks.

View more questions Search