Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HoratioCrunch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Well pump will not prime.
    Hi everyone,

Recently I had a break in my water line going between the well pump and the pressure tank. It happened over night while I was asleep. When I awoke I heard the well pump running in the basement. When I finally went to inspect it I found my basement completely full of water. After pumping the water out of the basement, I turned the well pump back on and found that it would still spit water out of the break in the line for as long as the pump would run (this was at least 3 weeks after the flooding in the basement occurred). So, a couple weeks later my room mate and I finally decided we would fix the water line. After replacing the broken area of line (without checking to ensure that the pump was still pumping water) we turned on the well pump which would continuously run and provided no water. Then, my sisters boyfriend informed us that we needed to prime the pump. We attempted to prime the pump by pouring water down into the pump where the break in the line was (yes, we took apart our fix because it was rigged up pretty hard and we had taken the time to buy legitimate piping). When the pump was kicked on after our attempt at priming it would simply spit out the water which was put into the pump but no water would follow (or air pressure), even when allowed to run for 5-10 minutes. So we continued to attempt to prime the pump about 5 more times, with no success. After our unsuccessful attempts at priming the pump by pouring water where we cut the line, we decided to just take the whole pipe fitting off the outgoing line of the pump and attempt to prime the pump by pouring water directly into the pump (FIG 1.2). After filling the pump with water we turned on the well pump and it spat water out all over the place, but once again only the water we had filled it up with. So, I took a look down into the well pump. It appeared that the well pump was about half full of water, the odd thing is that the water in the pump had small bubbles constantly flowing through it. Now, I have no idea what to do.

I wouldn't imagine that the line going into the pump had a leak because the pump would constantly spit out water when turned on in the weeks before our first attempt to fix it.

Also, when the well pump is turned on I can hear what sounds like water moving around in the pipes when I put my ear up to the break in the line.

The well pump that I have.

How the line is set up.

Fig 1.2

Check out some similar questions!

How do you prime a pump? [ 5 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me how to prime a sprinkler pump the right way? I have 2 cut-off valves on my system. The first one leads to the pump, and the other valve leads to the cylinder shaped thing with the five tubes on it... My question is: do I close the 2nd valve and open the first valve to let water...

How do I prime a well pump [ 10 Answers ]

We have been without power for over 10 hrs and now I have no water. I was told I need to prime the well pump but I don't know how. I have never had this problem before. Can Anyone one help. The holding tank is inside the pump its self is out side.

How do I prime my water pump? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I live in a rental property with one water source that supplies 2 units. Our power went out today and now the water does not work. The pump will need to be primed now to get the water running again, but I'm not sure how to do that. I cannot get in touch with the landlord right now and I...

Pump prime [ 2 Answers ]

I lost my prime on the pump for my home well. My question is how to prime?

How to prime a centrifugal pump [ 1 Answers ]

Old Sears pump... roughly 1970s... cannot remember which valves to turn off and which to leave on while hooking up hose.

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.