Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonpie803 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Weak Hot Water Pressure with Kohler Single Handle Shower Valve
    So I have a single handle shower made by Kohler that is only 2 years old. I have regular water pressure from the tub faucet but the shower when turned up hot has a diminished flow. When you turn the sink or flush the toilet in the same bathroom the pressure is actually much better. I adjusted the temperature control counter clockwise and it helped somewhat. I also cleaned out the shower head. I keep reading about shower valve cartridges - what are these? Where would I find one? Does anyone have any other suggestions that I could check on my own before calling a plumber?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2008, 12:48 AM
    Moonpie803 - Seeing as how you don't know where the cartridges are at I think that you need to call a plumber, if you take the faucet apart to repair it you will have trouble in getting it back togreather, I'm afread, more then likely you have some trash in side from your hot water tank . One thing that might help is to hook a water hose to the drain at the bottom of your hot water tank and flush it out, getting out rust a other stuff trapped in it , its good to do this about every 6 months. Before YOU START <( DO TURN THE POWER OFF TO THE TANK TO KEEP FROM BLOWING THE HEATING ELEMENTS ) Let the tank drain then turn water back on to the tank and flush more NOTE ( NOW when you are filling the tank again ,turn the faucet on in the kitchen sink and have someone watch it to tell you when you have a good flow comeing out ,then you can turn the power back on . Good Luck & GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 06:03 AM
    Hey Moonpie:

One easy check is to remove the shower head and look inside and see if there is a black o-ring with plastic sleeve inside. This o-ring is there to reduce the volume flow to 2.5 gallons. If you remove it, you may see an increase in volume that you are looking for... Of course, you may not... ;)
    To remove o-ring take a sharp knife and pry it out at edges.. then re-install and see if that helped (can't really hurt to remove this... most of my customers ask me to remove it and never had a complaint).

Now, if that does not do it for you... you can check out the kohler site. I typed in coralais faucet (most popular kohler valve for years) at the site and the valve and valve body parts popped up. That may help you or the plumber if you need him.

Check the link below... let us know what you decide... good luck... Mark

Kohler Plumbing

Use the zoom feature and orange arrows to move around the interactive page.
    kooldude13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2012, 01:46 PM
    Ok I figured it out. I have single laver kohler shower. Same problem I didn't have hot water pressure. So turn of the water. Unscrew the handle. Once the handle is off u will see mixing valve. It is attached by 2 screws. Unscrew it and pull , it should pop right out. Next you will see a (usualy black) PBU unit. It is right behind the valve. It has two holles. Just pull it out no screws holding that thing. That is your problem. PBU= pressure balancing unit. I took it a part. Its simple, inside there is a sort of a round metal disk with rober on top edges. The disc and robbery substance are all corroded. And that's why its not working. And u can't change the rubber, its not oval ring its attached to it perm. Or until it's corroded. The new PBU unit costs between 30 and 47 dollars. I tried to locate just a disk, with no luck. Home depod does not have it! I have ordered new PBU unit and in Maine time I took disk out of it. So it works, water kind of goes from colder to wormer but its good enough to take a shower, till I get new unit. Good Luck. Sorry for the english, I am russian =)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Hot Water in Shower - Moen Single Handle Faucet [ 38 Answers ]

I've read most of the questions on this website about this matter, but I'm still confused. I pulled off the handle and wall plate. But what do I do after that? I see a small (4 inch approx.) hole in the wall with a "unit" that looks like a cartridge that holds the handle. I can turn it to hot...

No hot water from Moen Single handle shower valve [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting no hot water from my Moen single handle shower valve. I have plenty of pressure from cold water side. I removed the main handle to expose the valve. The hot water pipe has a small valve with a common head valve stem which I turned, hoping to unblock the valve, but this had no...

Lower Water pressure in single handle shower [ 4 Answers ]

I have low water pressure in my master shower. So far narrowed it down to the cartridge in the mixer valve. I have no idea what brand since there are no names or numbers on anything. Took the cart out and tried to clean it. Seems like there is some scald valve in this balk plastic square cart that...

Loss of hot water in Moen Shower facet - single, pull handle [ 8 Answers ]

I have lost significant pressure in my shower equipped with a Moen single handle pull out and rotate - R or L. I have a 2nd shower with identical unit - swapped cartridge - no change. Pulled out the posi-pressure valve on the hot side and found some debries, no change in pressure, may be worst....

View more questions Search