Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsquare Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2006, 09:29 PM
    Wall standpipe overflow
    The wall standpipe for my 10 year old washer machine overflows as the washer discharges water during the cycle. This problem only happened very recently. I tried to run the snake down the pipe but it only went about 2 feet and couldn't go any further. I also noticed the pipe is very rusty as I pulled the snake out. I wonder if there is a clog somewhere in the line or is it time to get a new washer machine. Please help.:confused:
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2006, 10:00 PM
    There is a clog in your line after it leaves the washing machine I doubt that there is any problem with the machine.
    In trying to run a snake down the drain behind the washing machine is not the best place to do it. There is a P-trap about 3 feet down and it is sometimes hard to get the snake throuh it. There is a vent pipe that extends out the roof of you house and that is where you should try to run the snake down. A word of Warning. The little cables that you might be trying to run down the drain can break down inside the pipe and it this happens it could cause major problems.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 6, 2006, 06:17 AM
    Hey Square,

Letmetellu was right on target when he advised you to snake from the washer roof vent. Let the cable down all the way to the base and then put out about 20 feet more. I have a problem with, " A word of Warning. the little cables that you might be trying to run down the drain can break down inside the pipe and it this happens it could cause major problems."
    Letmetellu was figuring on you using those little 1/4" inch hand held snakes you can buy at the hardware store. That's just not gonna git it! You need to rent a Ridgid K-50 sewer machine with a 3/8ths inch cable. While a small hand held snake is just dandy for clearing a drain or trap problem, your problem's in the sewer line you don't have enough cable with the hand held to do the job. If a cable should break it's a simple job to get in back using a "cable retriver" tip on the end of the snake. Good luck, Tom
    tsquare Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 04:29 PM
    Thank you for your replies "Letmetellu" and "Speedball1"! You guys are very helpful!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry standpipe overflow [ 10 Answers ]

The standpipe that our washing machine drains into recently started overflowing. It's only a small amount at a time, creating a tiny puddle that runs in front of the machine. It seems to happen during the rinse cycle. There's no noticeable odor or sudsing. Any idea what could be causing this...

Standpipe backup, moving in 1 week! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! Thank you for all of the advice you are giving others, it has helped me greatly! I was reading about a young man who was installing a new washing machine, and was going to raise the standpipe to 62 inches. Was this to compensate for the stronger pump? This is because we are having the...

Rooftop Standpipe perhaps? [ 6 Answers ]

I have read through most of the plumbing problems and haven't seen exactly my situation, so here goes. Here are the facts as best as I can describe. Block home built in 1968 as 2 bdr. 1 bath Addition of a bedroom and additional bath circa 1978 (fireplace too.. another issue) Secondary...

Water Overflowing over Washer Standpipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2" PVC standpipe that is 33" tall. It feeds into a 2" P trap (cast-iron) connected to a 2" T. The top of the T is the vent pipe, and the bottom is connected to the sewer line. Using a garden hose, I can open it at max, with no overflow. I ran a snake into the cast-iron P trap (and as far...

Taping Into a Washer's Standpipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, just wondering if I can install an in-floor drain that taps into the standpipe drain I already use for my first-floor washing machine. The standpipe runs directly behind, then underneath the washer (underneath the floor board)--there's room enough to work under there--I checked. I want...

View more questions Search