Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dollbabies Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2006, 01:12 PM
    No water in toilet bowl
    When I flush my toilet the bowl fills as usual, then slowly drains away.
    Any answers for that?
    RIBBS4 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 03:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabies
    When I flush my toliet the bowl fills as usual, then slowly drains away.
    Any answers for that?
    Yes. The flapper isn't adjusted right or you may need a new one..
    They are only a couple of dollars. First, take the lid off the back(tank) of the toilet, now,see where the chain or rubber cord is
    Attached to the handle... follow it down to the flapper. That is where your leak is... happy flushin
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2006, 04:45 AM
    Yes, it's either worn and needs replaced - or needs adjusted.

The two possible adjustment issues are
    Chain too short (flapper does not come all the way down to close the opening) or
    Chain too long (and getting caught up under the flapper, allowing the water to get past it)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 6, 2006, 05:46 AM
    Sorry Rick but I have to disagree.

While a misadjusted flapper might possibly lower the tank level Dollbabies complain was a loss of water in the bowl, not the tank.
    Let me explain what happens. As you flush and the float ball drops, turning on the ballcock so it fills the tank it also diverts water through a small 1/8" tube from the top of the ballcock into the top of the white overflow pipe. This flow adds water to the water in the bowl to bring the level up. Make sure the 1/8" tube is clear and is pumping water into the overflow pipe and not in the tank. That's the first thing I would check. There could also be a factory defect in the bowl. Sometimes in casting the bowl there is a small bubble in the china. Instead of junking the bowl the manufacture will put a porcelain patch over the hole and send it on through. On occasion the patch will fail allowing the water to seep out of the bowl. If that's the case you would have a full bowl after you flushed and the bowl filled but some hours later you would notice a drop in the bowl level. The only other thing might be if you dropped something in the bowl and cracked it. If you're worried about where the water's going, in both cases it drains back down into the sewer and not under the bowl on the floor. Hope this helps and sorry Rick, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water is being sucked from toilet bowl [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a new home (2 months ago) and I'm having a problem with the master bath toilet. From day 1 the toilet has never flushed right and the water level in the bowl is different all the time. It started that when I raised the lid the water in the bowl would actually drain out by...

Toilet bowl empties itself [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Just discovered your site and here's my puzzle to start! Been in this house 6 months. its @20-25 yrs old on city sewer system, 3 bathrooms (1 in the basement). This problem started after a weekend with lots of family here. The master bathroom toilet bowl empties the water within @5 minutes of...

My toilet not filling with water [ 3 Answers ]

When I flush my toilet it is not refilling with water, and the water to the toilet is on what should I do at home before having to call a plumber?

Toilet bowl water level [ 11 Answers ]

I am not totally unfamiliar with plumbing, but this one has me stumped. I flush the toilet before I go to bed. In the morning the water level in the bowl has dropped a couple of inches. When the toilet is flushed there appears to be an air bubble which comes up, but the toilet flushes almost...

Disappearing Toilet Bowl Water [ 2 Answers ]

Reciently one of our second floor toilets has begun losing water from the bowl. When it is flushed, it fills to the proper level and shortly after refilling the tank, all is silent. There is no apparent leakage and the water level may stay up for quite some time. However, it seems that after the...

View more questions Search