Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noramae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 06:00 AM
    Leaky Toilet when flushed
    Please help.. Every time I flush the toilet, water comes out between the tank and the bowl. What should I do?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2006, 06:28 AM
    Hey Noramae,

Easy repair. All you have to do is snug up the tank bolts located on either side of the flapper in the bottom of the tank.
    There is a "feel" a plumber gets when he is working with china. "If I give this nut one more twitch, I'm gonna break something". The best I can tell you is to SNUG the bolts down. Checking every 1/4 turn to see how the tank sets. I leave just a little play in the tank. If you tighten it down with no give at all, some one could lean back hard and crack the china at the bolt holes. That's less likely to happen if the tank gives just a bit. Hope this helps. Tom
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2006, 06:55 AM
    Hi,
    Good answer, as usual, by Speedball.
    If snugging down the two nuts underneath the tank, where it sits on the toilet bowl doesn't do it, then the rubber seal between the tank and the bowl might be very old, and not sealing properly. If so, the seal should be replaced.
    The seal is probably not bad, so I'm just adding this for a little more information. Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Large burping bubbles from toilet when flushed [ 9 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have a rental property I have been working on and have a problem with the toilet. When the fella who was living there moved out he said that the toilet was not flushing properly, he was right. It would swirl very weakly and every now and then it would barely flush all the way. It...

Bathtub Gurgles and SMELLS when Toilet Flushed [ 2 Answers ]

When the toilet is flushed, the bathtub starts gurgling and the smell from the bathroom is terrible. I used a snake for some time, but it seemed to spin fine, the gurgle is maybe a little quieter, but didn't go away. Help... my house smells! -Eric

Loud noise after tiolet is flushed [ 2 Answers ]

After the toilet is flushed there seems to be extra noise going on in wall where the pipes are. It only happens in the one bathroom. The noise sounds like the water to refill the toilet is louder than normal. I'm not sure how else to explain it. This just started recently - Our house is only 4 yrs...

Flushed deodorant bottle by accident [ 3 Answers ]

Accidentally, the deodorant stick was flushed this morning and disappeared. Although paper seems to be flushing, it's terribly sluggish and slow. I used wet vac to try to retrieve, but no luck. Any recommendations before I call a plumber? Thanks!

Tub drain gurgles when toilet flushed [ 1 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet, the bathtub drain makes a gurgling noise. There is not any water coming into the tub, but is the sign of a future problem?

View more questions Search