Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eigenheerc Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 06:33 AM
    Dirty Water Softener
    Whoever installed the water softener in my house (done with the previous owner) obviously wasn't the sharpest knife in the kitchen because they installed the sediment filter AFTER the water softener (I'm on a dug well with quite a bit of sediment coming through the pipes). Needless to say my water softener doesn't work anymore so my question is this: How can I clean the water softener beads which I'm assuming are covered in sediment from the well? The regular recharging cycle doesn't seem to help because the water is still as hard as ever. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 2, 2006, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eigenheerc
    Whoever installed the water softener in my house (done with the previous owner) obviously wasn't the sharpest knife in the kitchen because they installed the sediment filter AFTER the water softener (i'm on a dug well with quite a bit of sediment coming through the pipes). Needless to say my water softener doesn't work anymore so my question is this: How can I clean the water softener beads which I'm assuming are covered in sediment from the well? The regular recharging cycle doesn't seem to help because the water is still as hard as ever. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
    I would find out who the original installer were and force them to come back and make the job right. While we install water softeners in my area we don't service or repair them so I wouldn't know much about cleaning the beads. Wouldn't backwashing flush out the tank? Contact the company that installed the filter in the wrong place and see what they have to say. If they w3on't give you any satisfaction then I would complain to the Better Business Bureau. Good luck, Tom
    eigenheerc Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 07:34 AM
    Cool. Thank you for your advise, Tom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water softener sanitization [ 1 Answers ]

I have an opportunity to get a culligan mark 10 water softener from a friend. It has not been in use for a couple of years and has standing water present in both the brine tank and the resin chamber. I know I can get the brine tank cleaned and sanitized. The concern I have is the resin...

Water Softener for whole house [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, The plumbing set up in my house does not have a loop for a softener. So from what I have been told I would have to have softened water running throughout my house, kitchen included. (unless I spend a fortune to get plumbing redone) Is this a bad idea? Can anyone give me any advice...

Rusty or dirty water [ 5 Answers ]

If you been following my story, I wanted to ask on a separate post about something else. Each time I turn on the bath faucet a spurt of rusty/dirty water comes up before the water clears again. This is not a lot but it has been happening every time ever since I replaced this faucet. What could...

Dirty water backs up in shower [ 1 Answers ]

Every now and then dirty, black water backs up from my shower drain and sits still for a few hours and then drains back out, the toilet in the same bathroom also sometimes has no water in the bowl. Yesterday the sink in my other bathroom was clogged and I tried Drano but the water did not even...

Water pressure/water softener? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a "waterfall" faucet in my tub (separate shower). I turned on the water to the tub the other day and it barely runs. Then tonight my daughter was running the tub faucet and I had no hot water pressure to the kitchen. This has never been a problem. I understand from reading that we may...

View more questions Search