Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnclagett Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Alternative to lead shower pan
    I am going to be designing a bathroom in which the entire floor will need to act as a shower pan. What durable alternatives are there to using lead as the shower pan base?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 14, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Hi John,
    Lead shower pan? WOW! I haven't formed a lead shower pan for over 30 years. Now we use Blue Compaseal or purchase them ready made. What's your pleasure? Regards, Tom

Mar 14, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hi John,
    Lead shower pan?? WOW!! I haven't formed a lead shower pan for over 30 years. Now we use Blue Compaseal or purchase them ready made. what's your pleasure? regards, Tom
    A ready made, drop-in type pan isn't an option, since the entire bathroom floor will in effect act as a shower pan. This means there will be jigs and jogs along the perimeter, several openings in the pan [for drains as well as the toilet drain line], etc. etc.
    I am reading about a company, schluter [www.schluter.com], that has a system for custom shaped shower enclosures. Are you familiar with schluter?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 14, 2008, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnclagett
    a ready made, drop-in type pan isn't an option, since the entire bathroom floor will in effect act as a shower pan. this means there will be jigs and jogs along the perimeter, several openings in the pan [for drains as well as the toilet drain line], etc., etc.
    i am reading about a company, schluter [www.schluter.com], that has a system for custom shaped shower enclosures. are you familiar with schluter?
    I'm not familiar with the company and when I attenpted to pull up specs and instructions I had a problem and my puter hung up.
    We custom form our shower pans and the tile guys take over from there. Your concept interests me. Will this be a shower room with multiple shower heads? Will a lavatory be installed? Since the floor must slope to the drains will you provide a level area to mount the toilet in? Is this a commercial or a home installation? Clue me in! Regards, Tom

Mar 16, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Hello speedball
    To answer your questions:
    Will this be a shower room with multiple shower heads?
    One
    Will a lavatory be installed?
    Yes, but wall mounted
    Since the floor must slope to the drains will you provide a level area to mount the toilet in?
    My plan is not to slope all of the floor area, just in the area of the shower.
    Is this a commercial or a home installation?
    Home
    Sorry you couldn't get on the shluter site.
    John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Tiled Shower - cracked grout between shower wall and pan [ 4 Answers ]

I just spent 10K on labor alone to remodel my master bath. I purcahsed all Hand made tiles (Walker Zanger) and the contractor came highly recommended... After less than one month of use (and I did seal the shower walls and floor with a very good sealer), I noticed a hairline crack in the Grout...

Removing drain assembly from shower, relacing shower pan [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove part of the old drain assembly that has been glued to the drain pipe that comes up from the slab floor.

My shower drain is raised above the shower pan by 3/16" causing standing water [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass shower stall where the bottom has either slumped or the stall was installed wrong to begin with (it has no support beneath the surface that I stand on). The drain sticks above the level line so I have about 3/16" of standing water. I cannot easily access the bottom from the...

Replace concre-tile shower with new shower pan [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing my concrete-tile shower with swanstone 32x60L shower base. The new drain location will be around 4" away from the original drain location. What should I do? Can I use the existing P-trap with the new drain location by connecting them using a horizontal PVC pipe? Or do I have to...

Lead Shower Pan Failure - Alternatives? [ 8 Answers ]

I have shower stall, which is 25 yo with a lead pan installed (saw it done). The pan appears to have developed a leak near the drain. I've dug out the grout in the vicinity of the drain, and if I pour a couple of oz of water there, it immediately leaks to the ceiling below (cut the drywall,...

View more questions Search