Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nobuta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Water Leaks from Washing Machine Drain Hose
    We just purchased an new GE washing machine. When water is being discharged during the wash or spin cycle, water leaks from the connection where the drain hose is inserted into the standpipe. Would it be okay to wrap duct tape around this connection. I asked a guy at Home Depot and he advised against it. He said that doing so may put more stress on the engine to discharge the water. It's either that or I'll be constantly mopping up water every time we run the washing machine. Any comments?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Check if there are washers that go between the drain hose. You might have a cracked one that's letting the water out.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 10:49 PM
    How high is the pipe your hose fits into. It should be about 32 inches above the pipe it drains into. Is increasing it's height a possibility or increasing its size. Those would be better options. You will not damage the pump by taping the hose to the pipe but you may find that the washer gets out of balance during the spin cycle. If so, remove the tape.
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2008, 07:25 AM
    I had this same problem.

My cause was that the metal clamp that holds the hose to the wash mahine spout was poor quality. It just didn't clamp hard enough and it leaked.

So I went to home depot and bought a bag of metal hose clamps. They are wind up types by use of a screw driver.

I put this on the house so it clamped the house to the spout very tight. No problems after this.

Knucklez
    meehlmann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 09:51 PM
    The problem is that the new machines pump down more gallons per minute than the old standard 1 1/2 inch iron pipes can handle. New washing machine drains are required to be 2" Personally, I have done the plumber clean the drain line enough times. If it is 100% clean then it barely works but within 1-2 months it overflows all over again! I am looking for a rubber hose reducing coupling with clamps. THAT'LL GET ER DONE!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water overflows from drain pipe for washing machine [ 3 Answers ]

When my washing machine drains, the water from the pipe overflows. What can I do besides calling a plumber? Thanks in advance. Grams!

Washing machine leaks when filling [ 1 Answers ]

Troubleshooting tips for a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II washing machine that leaks water when filling? Do you think it's the pump? Can it be a home repair? Thanks!

Washing machine drain hose [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore washer and have a problem of water backing up in the drain pipe. It seems that it drains too quickly and thus the overflow. I the drain pipe comes out of the laundry room floor and there is also a drain on the floor. Could I add on to the drain hose to possibly slow the flow down?...

Washing Machine Discharge Hose Length [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to move my washing machine from its current position, directly in front of our utility tubs. The new location will require a discharge hose close to 15' long. (The washer inlet hoses will be about as long, too.) Is there any problem with this? Where can I get this length of...

View more questions Search