Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snoman1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Wiring in lower level walls do or don't
    Hi,
    Part 3 of my lower level building inspections is electrical which the inspector is coming in tomorrow. To bring you up to speed I finished off my lower level without permits, now selling property and new buyer wants everything up to date. I now have permits and bringing in inspectors so again tomorrow is electrical. I have all the walls opened up in various spots.. to show wiring coming across and going into all the boxes etc.. My question is this, cause its been several years since the work has been done. On 2 of my walls that were built up against the foundation walls we ended up just running the wiring to the outlets behind the studs (there is a little gap) and nailing them at the box. Is this a code violation? We drilled all of the interior walls and put those metal strips in front of the stud so you can't nail at that area etc... everything in the walls and at all boxes is secured to the studs within a couple inches to the boxes.. What is the recommendation for wiring traveling up a wall/how much space between clamps etc.. All the boxes are wired neatley with wire nuts etc.. All and all I want to know what they are going to look for and just try to prepare everything tonight. The only other thing I found was when I ran the wiring for the heater/fan/light combo I ran one too many wires and just cut the line at both ends and pushed into wall (probably not a smart thing to do at this point the only way to get it out would be to tear open the ceiling and try to cut it out in pieces... any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks, Rob
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Mar 13, 2008, 11:53 AM
    You definitely can't run wires through a gap behind a stud you must drop it down between studs in the wall and head for the box. You can drill through a stud or through a joist or plate. When the wire is enclosed in a wall it needs to be stapled secure within inches of the box but otherwise maybe every 2 ft or so. Closely follow contours of what you're passing over keep insulation away from it. There is a remote possibility of the wire you cut off causing problems.. it's not actually hooked to anything or "hot" right? Keep in mind a future owner even several buyers later could find u liable if the wiring is found to cause a fire or something... better to fully disclose it to potential buyers as a known item and get an electrician to at least inspect it
    snoman1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 05:10 PM
    I had my inspection last week and have been fixing all the "errors" and getting it up to date. Not too bad over all just some extra time and materials. More than anything they wanted more outlets on a couple walls and drop get the outlet boxes flushed to the ceiling.. mainly small stuff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New wiring in plaster walls [ 10 Answers ]

Ok, I need any help I can get on this one. I am rewiring my living room of an old victorian house built around 1900. The exterior wall is brick and the interior wall is plaster. The plaster was placed directly on top of the brick (no lath or wood inbetween). Does anyone have any experience with...

After bath, drain clogged and leak into lower level [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I just bought my first house and of course the inevitable problems are arising. We have a 1947 duplex home that has been totally redone around 2002. I took a bath for the first time the other night and had two surprises when I finished. The tub drained super super slow and then I went...

Sewage/water backup in lower level [ 5 Answers ]

We have lived in our house for 5 years and 2/3 times a year we have had backup. We have had Roto Rooter and several plumbers run a snake, each time they have ran into nothing. We do not have a septic tank. What can we do at this point?

Kitchen sink fine, but two sinks on lower level filled! [ 14 Answers ]

Hi: Not sure how to best describe my problem. The water that is being drained from my kitchen sink (on 1st level) is ending up in the two (laundry) sinks directly under the kitchen sink in the basement. When I tried to use the plunger in the two laundry sinks, black water came in through the...

Making lower level developer? [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard that you can make a lower level developer by mixing a developer (say 40 volume) with an equal amt of distilled water (which would then make 20 volume)... is this correct? I'm afraid to try, my hair's been through enough experiments already!:confused:

View more questions Search