Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badams Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Water Hammer on Hot water loop of Steam Boiler System
    We have a steam boiler that provides steam for most of the house but also has a hot water loop for the additions. We have been getting a lot of water hammer and it sounds as if it is coming from the area where the first hot water radiator starts (ie it is from the hot water loop). Does anyone have any ideas for how to fix this. We recently had our ancient boiler replaced but the problem is still there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 10:38 AM
    ((We recently had our ancient boiler replaced but the problem is still there))

If you had your steam boliler replaced I would call the company that did the work. Steam is NOTHING for a homeowner to work on. Call a professional before you hurt yourself or one of your family members.

NOTE steam does not water hammer but hot water does when it has air in the line. Shut off the unit and call for repair.
    badams Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 11:06 AM
    We are not planning on doing the work ourselves, I just want to have a better idea of what the problem/solution is before having someone do the work. Is air in the line a common thing? I was surprised that the water hammer did not go away when the unit was replaced.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Did you make the company that put your new boiler in aware of the air problem? If you did not you should have. See what they have to say when they fix it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closed loop Chilled water system - pressurisation units [ 18 Answers ]

Hi all , I am new to this site... Could you please some one help me out to locate the pressurization unit for a chilled water system application in 120m tower building. The heat exchangers/CHW pumps are located at 0.0 level... System volume is about 35-40 m3 and pump head is around 4 bar... ...

Do non-loop hot water recirculators work? [ 9 Answers ]

I am doing a kitchen remodel and would like to add a hot water recirculator. My plumbing runs through the slab so the kind with a dedicated return line to the hot water heater is not feasible. I've heard that they have systems that use a pump to bleed the hot water into the cold water line. ...

Domestic Hot Water Heating Boiler System Rad Valves [ 3 Answers ]

Re hot water boiler heating system,with 3 zone valves,in home.need to know to know about small "automatic"? Vents at ends of rads One was 'leaking']slowly but steadilty.and dripping slowly thro to basement forming small 3 inch mark on floor. 4 years ago these "automatic" valves replaced (from...

Hot water loop off a steam furnace [ 1 Answers ]

My 3 year old furnace heats steam radiators in the house. A hot water loop was installed to heat hot water radiators in the extension. No nail holes have been found in the piping yet air always gets into the system, flooding the furnace. Should the hot water part of the house have its own...

View more questions Search