Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moranj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 12:50 PM
    We think we have ruptured well water line because of a faulty pressure switch
    We had pressure switch to our submersible well that was not cycling on and off. We cleaned the points and thought everything was OK. Several days later we discovered water coming up around the casing to the well. We then realized the pump had been running continuously. We replaced the pressure switch but still have the water. Have we blown a leak in the line? We still have water to the house, so it can't be completely blown. Help? Can we pull the pump and replace the line?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 03:18 PM
    Yes, it sounds like you have a leak in the pipe down the well to the pump. How difficult it would be to pull the pump will depend on the type of pipe you have in the well and how deep the well is.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 2, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Sure sounds like you have a leak in the pressure line that's filling the casing. You would still get water to the house although it might be under reduced pressure. That pumps got to be pulled and the pipes inspected. Good luck, Tom.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Just for future reference, you should have a pressure relief valve on your system. The purpose is to prevent pressure building up to the point where something like this happens. I'm a little surprised the pipe failed before the pressure tank did.
    moranj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Sure sounds like you have a leak in the pressure line that's filling the casing. You would still get water to the house although it might be under reduced pressure. That pumps gotta be pulled and the pipes inspected. Good luck, Tom.
    That was exactly what we were planning on doing. First we called a well inspector we know (we are in real estate) and asked him. He said no don't pull the pump he'd be right over. He said it is very rare to blow that line and started digging where the line goes from the well house up the hill to the house. Sure enough it failed at the first elbow, we replaced the faulty piping and were up and running. He said that is the point of most pressure in the system. Thanks for your input, Jim & Jane
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 4, 2008, 10:36 AM
    Glad you're all fixed up. Thanks for letting us know. Tom
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 06:15 PM
    I still have to wonder why water would be coming up the well casing. Strange.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 10:25 PM
    It wasn't. I guess we all miss read. What moranj said was that water was coming up around the casing, not inside of it.
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2008, 05:27 PM
    You're exactly correct HK. Thanks for noticing that. Does make a lot more sense that way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Water Pressure Switch help [ 7 Answers ]

I noticed my water pressure was not as good as it used to be, and that when we used water, I did not hear the switch kick on as it once did, so I went out side and seen that the switch was staying closed, so I turned off the breaker, to see if the switch would kick out and reset its self. Well this...

Water pressure switch [ 6 Answers ]

My water supply comes from a well. Recently my water pressure started acting up. As we use water and the water pressure drops it gets to a point where the water stops flowing for about 5 to 8 seconds before the water starts flowing again. Someone told me that my water pressure switch might need to...

Water line replacement = entire house low water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a water line break in my front yard. The city replaced the line but ever since (immediately following the water being turned back on) the water pressure has been significantly lower throughout the house in both the hot and cold. I checked and the valve is completely open so I am...

Faulty pressure switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Concord 80 Plus Gas Furnace. I had a friend look at it when it was blowing out cold air when turned on, and he said the burners were not kicking on for some reason. When taking a few things apart, he determined that it was due to a faulty pressure switch. When the two wires that attach to...

Low water pressure on hot water line [ 1 Answers ]

Upon returning from a trip and turning the water back on, we discovered that the hot water line to the kitchen sink and the dishwasher has low pressure. How do we find what is causing this?

View more questions Search