Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    m00se Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 07:52 PM
    Basement tub drain connection
    I'm getting ready to install a tub on the concrete. The drain line was roughed under the slab, and there is a 10" X 10 " dap box that exposes the drain line. It looks to me that the P trap was not part of the rough. So I'll need to glue a P trap in, and leave the open end pointig up in the right spot for the drain kit. Here's my question... I've been told 2 different stories on exactly how to connect the drain kit to a under floor P trap. One guy says I must glue the connection, and the other guy says the drain tail piece simply slides down into the P trap with an overlap, and is not glued at all. Any clarification would be helpful. Thanks. Russ
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2006, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by m00se
    Here's my question... I've been told 2 different stories on exactly how to connect the drain kit to a under floor P trap. One guy says I must glue the connection, and the other guy says the drain tail piece simply slides down into the P trap with an overlap, and is not glued at all. Any clarification would be helpful. Thanks. Russ
    Hi Russ,
    You will glue a 2X1 1/2" Pvc trap,( if you can't find a 2X1 1/2" trap glue in a 2X1 1/2" bushing for the 1 1/2" raiser. Extend a 1 1/2" piece of PVC up from the trap 15 1/2" from the back wall to the center of the raiser and 1 1/2" off the front plate. Now glue a 1 1/2" female to compression trap adapter,(See image) to the raiser. Keep the height of the raiser below the floor level as the threaded tail piece from the tub waste and overflow will extend below the floor level when the tub is set. More questions? Fire away, I'm as close as a click. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron drain connection [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, we have a house built in the ealy 50's. We've torn out a small tiled shower and want to replace with a new one that doesn't leak. We have a 2" cast iron drain pipe sticking 1 1/2 inches above the house slab. What is the best way to connect a new two piece drain before we build or install new...

Horizontal to vertical drain connection [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. I’m in the middle of installing a drain system for new bathroom. I have a 2 inch pipe running straight up from the basement to the 2nd floor bathroom. The vertical pipe can continue on up to vent through the roof. I have a shower drain that runs under a sink then needs to connect to the...

Shower Drain, leaking connection [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Shower stall started leaking on second floor. Ran water directly into drain with hose from outlet with no leak, so I figure that leaves only the drain connection as the leaking place. Took the drain cover off and found the "plastic" drain pipe and one-piece shower stall in good...

Tub drain (dap out) connection problem [ 6 Answers ]

After gutting and remodeling my guest bath I went to install a new tub drain though an access panel I have to the pit in my slab. Reading through the posts I think this is called the dap out. My new tub drain kit came with new pipes so when I went to unscrew the top collar on my dap out pipe,...

Shower Drain Connection [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for feedback on replacing my exixting shower drain. SHOWER - 1 piece fiberglass STUBUP - 2" ABS CURRENT CONNECTION- Brass hub w/Oakum and lead (Leaking) ALIGNMENT ISSUE- The stubup is likely slightly out of plumb in relation to the drain as the trap is butted right against the...

View more questions Search