Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    budsdilema Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Water coming out from drain stack
    I have replumbed my washing machine drain line to the drain line. When the washing machine goes to the rinse cycle water comes up the stack. All drain lines are an Inch and a half with a trap installed. I am suspecting that the T fitting in the drain line is causing the problem and should be replaced with a Y-Tee.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help solve my problem
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Hey BUD... tell me how tall is the standpipe from your ptrap? The stand pipe is the pipe your washing machine hose connects into. That pipe, by code, needs to be between 18 and 36 inches... believe it or not. AND, if you have a maytag or another strong washing machine... you may even need to bump up to 2" drain pipe (still with 18-36 standpipe.. ok?). It is not a difference between tee fitting and wye fitting... for sure.

Online, most here will tell you to increase the drain size to 2" and to have standpipe at least 30 inches tall. I go shorter most of the time.

Anyway, how tall is your standpipe? Is this drain trapped/vented correctly? Get back to me.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Got to spread my complements around before I can give MASS another one but he is right on the money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water coming up through the bath drain . [ 1 Answers ]

There is water coming through the drain of my bath tub with poop in it ? What does this mean:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ok to tie a wet bar drain into a drain pipe coming from 1st floor. [ 6 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement in a newer house and want to add a wet bar. There is a 2" PVC drain pipe coming from the 1st floor that is for the washing machine drain. It has a clean out plug on it also. Can I just add a wye or Santee for the bar drain and do I need an Air Admittance Valve for venting....

How is shower water from above apartment coming into my tub drain directly below? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I live in a three story building with a stack that hooks into just the shower/tub and bathroom sink. I live on the second floor. When the person above takes a shower, the water comes into my tub through the drain. Both tub and sink drain empty into a small drum (that captures sewer...

Water coming from the drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I remove the toilet to uncloped the tiolet. I ran the snake down the drain pipe nothong was find. So I wash my hand in the bathroom sink the water was coming up out of the drain pipe. Please help me to stop the water from coming out the drain pipe?

Drain water from disposal coming up in basement shower [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the smelly drain water from disposal and washer :confused: come up in basement shower

View more questions Search