Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bonnie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2006, 08:47 AM
    Heater humming
    I have a 30 yr old Amana central heater. This morning I set it to go on (auto) and it just hums. The blower won't go on. I unplugged it. What could the problem be?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2006, 09:14 AM
    Sounds like the motor is fried. A non-technical thing to try is:

Turn the breaker off to it.

Manually turn the fan blades (or the "squirrel cage" if you have one).

Now turn the breaker back on.

If the fan comes back on, then the motor is going bad and you've bought yourself some time. If not, time to call the repairman.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2006, 09:56 AM
    It could be a bad start capacitor. Open it up and look at the motor. Give the fan its self a push with your hand, it should turn freely. A capacitor start motor will have a least 4 wires going to it. 2 of them come from the rest of the heater, and 2 of them will run to a round or oval metal can. That is the capacitor. Remove it. It may say something about uf or mf. Take it to an electrical supply and let them match it. Can't promise that is the problem, but very likely if the motor has a capacitor. Not all motors do.
    bonnie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2006, 01:02 PM
    Thank you for the all the information. I appreciate the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Humming noise in water pipes [ 6 Answers ]

Whenever we run water in the house there is a humming sound about 30 seconds after water is turned off. It sounds like a water pump running, but we have city water. Seems to only happen in summer not when weather cools down. How much trouble am I in? Thanks! Hinsdale

Humming pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, over the last couple of days there was like a roaring noise that would go off at different times in the house. I narrowed it down to the water pipes. Under the bathroom sink, if you put your hand on the cold water, you can feel the vibration, but not on the hot. While the noise is...

HB fan - light dimmed humming [ 3 Answers ]

I have two hampton bay redington IV fans... they have dimmable lights however, when the lights are dimmed they produce a high pitch hum.. any advice?

Ceiling fan humming ut not spinning [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I switched the rotation of my ceiling fan and now it will not spin either way but it does hum so I know it is trying any idea how I can fix tis I checked all the leads on the switch that changes the rotation of the fan and they are all connected thanks for your help Jester P.D. I don't...

Blower is humming [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Magic CHef forced air blower that has been working fine, but now hums-even if the t-stat is set in off. Any ideas. Thanks.

View more questions Search