Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kokohsacon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Shower faucet in need of change
    Hi, I'm new to this question asking, so be gentle.
    I have an older home, built in the 50's. The plumbing in the bathroom is beginning to give me grieve. The faucet and diverter in the shower have started to leak. I purchased a new set to replace these BUT? The old ones have 13" to the centre and the new ones are 8" to the centre? Ok, how do I make this work.
    Please keep in mind, I have NO plumbing expertise. I do like to DIY, and have learned quite a bit in the last few years of home ownership.
    Any ideas? Or should I just get out the wallet and get myself a GREAT plumber?
    Thanks!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Symmons makes a "goof plate" that may be able to help you with a little creativity on your part. These chrome goof plates are sold at all home supply stores. I think they measure just 13 " wide... and about 6 inches tall but you will need to measure to be sure.

Thing is... you would need to change the shower valve to a single handle valve (Symmons also makes a great tub/shower valve).

Look at the goof plate and see what you think... hope that does it for you.

Tell me is this a tile shower wall or a fiberglass shower.. Because could always remove section of tile, change valve over to any valve... patch area with cement board and re-tile with similar color tiles or could add accent tiles around valve.

Check it out and let us know what you come up with. Good luck!
    kokohsacon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 11:56 AM
    Thanks! I'll give this a try. The shower wall has a fiberglas covering. But it was inexpensive, so I could always reinstall a new one to cover any new holes.
    I guess I have some shopping to do. At least some more investigating.
    I'll keep you posted.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 10:58 PM
    Have you attempted to find parts for old faucet? When you replace stems and seats in a faucet you almost have a new faucet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to replace 'O' rings and Gaskets in Delta Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

My Delta faucet which is probably 30 years old constantly drips. I have replaced the shower head so know it is the faucet. It is a single handle push up for on and twist to the right or left for temperature control. How do I replace the o rings and gaskets? Thank you

How do I change an outside water faucet? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an exterior faucet that is leaking badly. Water is coming from the faucet handle, not further back. I have tried to remove the screw from the faucet face, but wonder if I should just use a wrench and remove the whole thing from the pipe? Do I need to cut off the water supply first? Looks...

Shower faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Price Phixter 3 year old, single handle shower/tub faucet that leaks hot water - cannot fully shut it off. Can ayone tell me if this is a common problem or can an adjustment of some sort fix it? Someone told me it may need a new cartridge - is this correct? Thanks Ron

Shower faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace the shower handles and valves in my bathroom. My diverter valve is leaking and needs replaced and I thought I would replace the hot and cold as long as I am at it. I have a 3 handle system. Is there an easy way to figure out what brand it is? I can't seem to get the valves out...

Water suppressor needed on lavatory faucet and shower faucet? [ 1 Answers ]

Are water suppressors needed in the bathroom sink faucet and the shower stub out also? And can you just use a length of pipe on a T, or must you use those copper chambers? (cpvc system) thanks

View more questions Search