Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dave Ermeling Posts: 173, Reputation: 3

Jan 31, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Ok to tie a wet bar drain into a drain pipe coming from 1st floor.
    I'm finishing my basement in a newer house and want to add a wet bar. There is a 2" PVC drain pipe coming from the 1st floor that is for the washing machine drain. It has a clean out plug on it also. Can I just add a wye or Santee for the bar drain and do I need an Air Admittance Valve for venting. I'm assuming the washing machine drain line is vented through the roof.
    Do I have to build the wall with 2x6's?

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/Plumbing.jpg
    http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j.../plumbing2.jpg
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 31, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Yes tou may discharge into the 2" vent stack with a san tee and yes the bar sink will have to be vented. You may install a AAV if local codes approve, if not then a vent must be installed after the trap and run out the roof or revented back into a dry vent in the attic.
    Good luck, Tom

Jan 31, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Thanks so much Tom. What would be the best way to find out if local codes allow an AAV? And do I need to build this as a 2x6 wall? In other words, can I run the 2" drain line through a 2x4 wall? Does it have to be 2" or can it be 1 1/2"?
    Thanks again, Dave
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 31, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Make the san tee 2 X 1 1/2" an d the trap 1 1/2". Since you will have to cover either a vent pipe or a AAV a 2 X 6" wall should do it. Contact your local Building Department for information on installing a AAV. If they permit a AAV they may make you install a service panel to service it if necessary. It's not good practice to cover up a AAV so it can't be serviced. Good luck, Tom

Jan 31, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Thanks a lot Tom. I'm trying to get ahold of someone at our local Public works to find out what the local code says about the AAV. I hate building 2x6 walls since it's hard to find good straight ones at Lowe's and HD but I'll live.

Jan 31, 2008, 02:18 PM
    I just got the call from Public works and they said they don't really allow the AAV unless there is no other means of venting. They said I should be able to tie into the vent for the vanity sinkbut to just do it up in the floor joists area.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 31, 2008, 04:09 PM
    My code book says you can revent back into a dry vent, (such as your vanity) at least 6" over the floor rim of the vanity bowl. You may also run it it in the attic and revent back to any roof vent up there. Best of luck in your project, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain vent and tie in for new second floor laundry [ 6 Answers ]

I'm adding a second floor laundry in an unused closet. The space has an interior wall with an unused return air duct that goes straight down to the unfinished basement right next to the main house drains. Lucky, I know.. There are two places I can tap into the drain at the bottom of the duct....

Drain Pipe Second Floor Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

In the process of plumbing the second floor bathroom in a log home. Question, due to the design of the first and second floor bathroom the main drain line has to be teed between the tiolet and shower about center between them. What do you prevent the tiolet water from entering the shower? ...

Floor drain clogged 2 inch pipe tried everything [ 4 Answers ]

My basement floor drain (from the hole in the floor to the main drain, about 15 ft.) is slow & sometimes clogged. When the clothes washer drains, water comes up on the floor, & slowly seeps down. I had a problem a few years ago with tree roots & big flood damage, had the old tile drain replaced...

Water coming from the drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I remove the toilet to uncloped the tiolet. I ran the snake down the drain pipe nothong was find. So I wash my hand in the bathroom sink the water was coming up out of the drain pipe. Please help me to stop the water from coming out the drain pipe?

Smell coming up sink drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have read the info on smelly sink but I think this case is slightly different. There is a black smelly sludge evident on the outside gulley trap which I have now cleared. But this evil sludge is coming from the plastic pipe joining sink to gulley. I am unable to get right through the pipe to...

View more questions Search