Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deleoner Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Low Water Pressure when turn on sink, then increases as the water flows.
    Hello.

First off, I know NOTHING about plumbing.

Anyway, our kitchen sink has been acting up recently. When we first turn on the water after it has been off for a while, the pressure is low. Then suddenly, it kicks in to normal water pressure after say... 15-30 seconds after the water has been on.

We have a PUR water filter attached.

Is this a major issue?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Are you on well water or a municipal water system?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Remove the Pur temporarily just to eliminate a possible problem with the filter. Can you tell us what brand/model faucet you have?

Jan 31, 2008, 06:02 AM
    Not on well water... regular.

Also the brand of the sink is a delta... I have no model number or anything, as it is the sink that came with the house.

Anyway, what is happening now is that the sink will start on low water pressure, then like 5-10 seconds in, it will 'kick in' and have normal water pressure. Before it kicks in, the sink seems to make an interesting sound... very hard to describe - kind of like a 'knocking' sound.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Sounds like something, probably solder in one of the lines, stuck at faucet. Flush lines. Turn off stop valves, open faucet to relieve pressure, close faucet, disconnect cold water supply line, point into bucket, open hot water stop valve, open faucet mid temperature range, when bucket is full empty bucket, reconnect supply line. Repeat for hot water side.

Jan 31, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Thanks for the feedback. I have no idea how to do what you said, but thanks!

I guess my bottom line question - Do I need a plumber to look at this? Or will my sink/pipes be OK?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Did you remove the Pur filter just to test it? It is the likely cause of your problem. Take it off even if just for a few minites to test. You are no where near needing a plumber at this point. We can help you through this.

Jan 31, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Ill do this when I get home tonight :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low water pressure kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

My cold water pressure is dripping out of my kitchen sink. The rest of the house is fine. Now my hot water pressure is doing the same thing. What should I do?

Low water pressure in one sink only [ 1 Answers ]

Wehaveabrandnewhouse-allfaucetsperfectexceptkitchen-havecommercialstletallfacetwith(KOHLER)pulloutsprayer(restauranttype).Anyway,plumberhastriedeverything,airator,uncloggingpipesofanydebree,etc.Heevenchangedoutthe$1000faucet!...

Low water pressure in kitchen sink [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two handle Delta kitchen faucet with a sink spray. Over the weekend we started to fill our pool and noticed that the pressure in the kitchen sink was low to none. This continued once the hose for the pool was shut off... it is only the cold water pressure.. the hot is okay... however...

Low water pressure in kichen sink only [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I read the other answers you gave for the same problem I'm having but why would I be having good pressure all through the rest of the house ? I changed faucet shout off the t I don't no what else to try I seen you said try the hot water tank but that don't make sense help thanks

Low Water Pressure in Kitchen Sink [ 1 Answers ]

A few months ago, out of nowhere, the kitchen sink's hot water pressure became very low. A plummer came over and all he did was totally replace the faucet; nonetheless, the problem still exist so I doubt it's the washers or simply being clogged. I don't exactly trust this plummer; he's saying it...

View more questions Search