Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnnycage Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Hot water out of cold tap?
    Frequently when I turn on the cold tap, I get hot water coming out of it for the first 30 seconds or so, it eventually turns to cold but it has been happening with increasing frequency of late. Shorty before we moved into the house a new boiler was installed? Any idea what could be causing this or is it perhaps an installation problem?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 06:19 AM
    Is your water heater separate from the boiler? OR does the boiler do both?

Jan 24, 2008, 06:44 AM
    As far as I know it's a combi boiler, have asked a few questions of both installing plumber and landlord and they say its just the pipes are run to close together, but I disagree as the water coming out is far too hot.

Jan 24, 2008, 09:28 AM
    A bad check valve could cause that problem if it is a combination unit.

Jan 25, 2008, 08:29 AM
    The check valve prevents the boiler from overheating the water doesn't it? Ie: the boiler does not stop heating!

Jan 25, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnycage
    The check valve prevents the boiler from overheating the water does'nt it? ie: the boiler does not stop heating!

A check valve prevents the hot water from backing up into the cold water line due to temperature/pressure differentials.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Low cold water pressure but normal hot water [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a house that was built in 1907. It has low water pressure on the cold side but normal pressure on the hot water side. I traced out the pipes and they are all copper and 3/4 inch for the branch feeders and 1/2 inch pipes going to the fixtures. The line coming into the house is 1...

Lost Hot Water Pressure but Cold Water is fine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We had a flood in our laundry room earlier today when the aquarium I was siphoning into the nearby sink started to siphon onto the floor instead (the hose came out of the sink and was draining water onto the floor). I didn't realize this, and suspected a leaky pipe when I saw the water...

No water to both sinks / very low cold water pressure to bath and washer [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen and bathroom sink have no water, period. Hot water seems to be pretty good to the bath and washer but cold water to those 2 locations are very weak. The outside faucet is very weak at best. I have had this problem for quite some time so it's not the fact that they are frozen. I just...

View more questions Search