Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Totem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Connecting basement plumbing to cast iron waste stack
    I'm putting in a half bath and a washing machine in our basement and I'd like to like to connect it to the main stack and drain, which is all 4-inch cast iron. The sweep where the stack meets the sewer line has no clean out and appears to have some corrosion, so I'd like to replace it. I was thinking that I would cut out the sweep about 2 feet up the stack and one foot along the sewer line with a snap cutter and replace it with PVC, making the connection to the cast iron with banded couplings both above and below ground. Above ground the PVC would include a clean out and a connector for the washer drain pipe. Below ground the sweep would include a reducing Y fitting to accept the 3-inch toilet drain pipe. I've figured out the venting and I'm planning to put in a few riser clamps to ensure the cast iron above the PVC is adequately supported.
    My questions would be a) Does this seem like a sound plan? b) Are there any issues with banded couplings under ground? and c) Is there anything I'm missing?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 08:27 AM
    As plumbers we almost always keep the main sewer drain lines cast iron for the entire run of the pipe... That means that here I would cut in cast iron fittings and clamp all using cast iron No hub pipe. In Massachusetts, if I cut into cast iron and then attach PVC... technically I am supposed to continue that PVC all the way out the roof.

In this case, if local code allows (most inspectors in my area won't allow... BUT a couple of them will... always a damn debate with some of them) they do make a 4"no hub x 4" PVC transition adapter (ask for it exactly as I wrote it) to transition from cast to PVC (you would need two of these for above and below)... then just use the "banded clamps" you were planning to use... Here in Mass, we primarily use the 4 band clamps... but some states allow 2 banded clamps.

Your plan seems fine.. cleanout above ground, fitting for washing machine (run 2" pipe for drain and 1.5" for vent), etc. even underground plan is good (4" x 3" PVC wye to pickup 1/2 bath is good... can wet vent toilet using lavatory vent if you pipe it 2" all the way to the vent stack). Hope this helps. If it does, please RATE my answer below! Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exterior Cast Iron Waste Stack [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old house where the soil stack (4" cast iron hub) was installed on the exterior wall out side of the house. At the second floor level there is a sanitary "Y" into the house second story bath. Above this "Y" the cast iron reduces to 2" cast iron vent but does not extend to the roof and...

Cast iron waste [ 1 Answers ]

Removing toilet from cast iron waste

Connecting second floor waste to main waste stack? [ 3 Answers ]

I have new new modular cape that had the first floor plumbing complete, and the second floor stubbed, and want to know the right way to connect the second floor waste drain which was installed in the house, to the main waste drain. The main waste drain comes up verically from the basement floor...

Cast Iron Waste Line [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4" cast iron waste stack that connects directly to the sewer line exiting the house. The stack consists of three separate sections all with a bald and bell ends. Each is leaded into the next. I would like to remove two of the three sections and connect PVC into the remaining section so I...

Cast iron waste pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have just bought a 32 yr old house and have started updating some of the fixtures. In our 1/2 bath the previous owners installed a pedistal sink with brass fixtures (p-trap, hot cold valves). We are changing all things brass to brushed nickel. So we took out the sink to paint...

View more questions Search