Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kim88 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2006, 11:11 AM
    Basement Plumbing Rough-In questions
    Our builder's plumber put in our plumbing rough-in in the basement. Our house is 7 months old.

The layout and What I can see is as follows:
    2" PVC shower drain stub is 20 3/4 inch from the concrete wall. According the the builder the layout calls for a tub positioned longways along this wall.

Moving away from the wall, the next thing is a 3" PVC toilet stub. It is positioned 49 3/4 inch from the same concrete wall.

Finally moving further away from the wall, the next thing is a 2" vent line. It is positioned 58 7/8 from the concrete wall.

The layout calls for the tub as mentioned then looking at the tub there would be the toilet on the left-hand wall, then a vanity (all moving away from the back wall)

The stub distances from each other are as follows, the vent pipe would be in the left-hand wall, the center to center distance as projected to the back wall from the vent to the tub is ~7", then it is approximately another 7" projected along the back wall to the Toilet stub.

The concrete was poured around these stubs so that the stub is projecting right out of the concrete, no square gravel areas surround either pipe

I'm assuming that the p-trap would be under the shower stub?

According the builder the rough-in is for a tub, however we have found an end drain shower pan that is 30x60 that seems like it will fit in this space, I believe we should just be able to hook up the drain to the 2" stub?

It seems to be virtually impossible to get the toilet to have 15” of clearance around it. After allowing for a stud wall and a standard tub. It appears that the only way to get the toilet to have the correct clearance to the sides is to use an offset flange, and even then we would have to cut the concrete floor to get it in, as I don’t know of one that can go inside a 3” PVC pipe? Do you have any other suggestions. I’m leary of cutting the floor and exposing the basement to possible moisture through this route? Also I’m worried about damaging the PVC pipe in the process. Any advice on cutting around it?

I would certainly appreciate any advice you can offer and I hope this is not too confusing.

Kim
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 31, 2012, 06:24 AM
    The layout and What I can see is as follows:
    2" PVC shower drain stub is 20 3/4 inch from the concrete wall. According the builder the layout calls for a tub positioned longways along this wall.
    The measure's right for a shower, A tub rough in would be 15 1/2" off the wall.
    The concrete was poured around these stubs so that the stub is projecting right out of the concrete, no square gravel areas surround either pipe
    We wrap our toilet stubups with a Styrofome Wrapper so a closet flange can be installed. However if there's no wrapper you can use a inside closet flange with no problems.
    I'm assuming that the p-trap would be under the shower stub?
    That's the way we rough them.
    It seems to be virtually impossible to get the toilet to have 15 of clearance around it. After allowing for a stud wall and a standard tub
    When did your shower rough in change into a tub rough in?
    Let's get something straight here.
    Unless you have a 12 or 14" square cut out of floor for a tub trap you are roughed for a shower. You keep changing the terms back and forth and that's confusing me.
    Since this is a 6 year 9old thread I should hope that all your issues have been resolved. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing in basement without rough ins? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, We are looking at purchasing a home that has great basement space, however, the house was built without rough ins in the basement. To finish the basement and add bathroom, sink, and wetbar, what will we need to do to ensure the plumbing can be accomplished? Your answers are...

Rough in Basement Plumbing Question [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I had my basement roughed in for a shower, toilet and sink. The pipe for the toilet sticks out of the concrete and is 12" from finished wall. There is a 2" PVC pipe behind the toilet that will be located within my framework. I am guessing this is the vent for the toilet and also a wet...

Basement Plumbing, No Rough IN, above floor [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All I would like to install a temporary basement bathroom, Commode and sink, I want to build it with plumbing above the concrete floor, I live in a ranch style house, What I have is 1st floor bathroom and I want to install the one in the basement right below it, attaching into the present...

View more questions Search