Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    workerbee Posts: 104, Reputation: 7

Jan 19, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Dirty hot water
    Only the hot water is a yellow color. I drained the hot water heater the water that came out of the hose looked clear after a while. When I finished draining I let the hot water run for several minutes but still comes out yellow. There appears to be no leaks with the hot water heater which is about 7 years old. What is that yellow color from? Should I drain more? ( I let a few gallons out until water looked clear) Is the hot water heater shot?

workerbee :confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 19, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Your water isn't shot just full of mineral build up. Did you flush it ,(not drain) with the pressure on? If you just shut the wateroff and drained a few gallons out let me show you how to flush it out. For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom
    workerbee Posts: 104, Reputation: 7

Jan 22, 2008, 09:47 AM
    I have tried that and it has improved a lot now the water is almost clear but still a very very light yellow when comparing it to a glass of cold water. I have flushed 4 times about 10 minutes each time over the last two days. Should I keep doing this? How would know if water heater is going, anything I should look for?

workerbee

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dirty well water [ 5 Answers ]

We are on a well system. We have a water softner. Right now the cold water is coming out of the spicket brown. The hot water is not as bad, however, black water comes out in spurts. Is this a problem or something that works out? We have had occasional brown water but it usually clears up. ...

Irregular dirty Well water [ 1 Answers ]

I have a well, unknown depth and age, we recently stated having light brown water coming out of all faucets. However if we don't use any water for about a day then the water will go clear again. I had a stretch of about two days of regular water usage and no problems, then It went back to light...

Dirty water [ 3 Answers ]

I have a well and I have dirty water, I poured bleach in it a it started to clean up but now it is dirty again, how can I drain the tank to clean out the tank or what do I need to do to clean up the water

Dirty hot water [ 1 Answers ]

Recently had a new bathroom fixture put into the bath/shower. Our water pressure in there has increased 10 fold. When I turn the hot on full blast, rusty/dirty water comes out. Small whitish/blue pieces of sediment (I think) are coming out. Is this bad?

Dirty sandy well water [ 2 Answers ]

Every once and a while our well water gets very diry with fine black sand. It just sems to happen. A day later it returns to clear and all seems all right. The holding tanks are coated with the sand and difficult to clean. Can you tell me what causes this and what I can do to stop it. I am...

View more questions Search