Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbhawleyjr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2006, 06:48 AM
    Shower p-trap - concrete slab
    I have already poured a 6 inch thick concrete slab for a shop floor. During the slab construction a 3 inch pvc rough stubbed drain was put in the concrete to act as the shower drain (from the shower to the septic tank line). I realized after the fact that no p-trap was placed within the slab; only a fitting to mate the shower drain to the pvc and a 90 sweep L to a short piece of 3 in pvc that is stubbed to the outside of the building. Nothing has been connected to the septic tank drain lines.
    QUESTION-is there a way to add a p-trap to the outside of the building before the shower waste enters the main septic drain lines? If so, is this 'just as good' as a traditional p-trap directly under the shower, and will it work as well? I really don't want to cut the slab to do this.
    Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 9, 2006, 07:08 AM
    Hey John,
    "QUESTION-is there a way to add a p-trap to the outside of the building before the shower waste enters the main septic drain lines? If so, is this 'just as good' as a traditional p-trap directly under the shower, adn will it work as well? I really dont want to cut the slab to do this."

You're going to love my answer. You're looking to install a (see image, this image is a small PVC running trap. You'll need one in your pipe size and material, but you get the idea.) running trap, (not a "P" trap) in your drain line. This will give you a trap seal for your shower although the shower drain line will be open to the air from the drain to the trap. This should not present too much of a problem but I thought I should mention it. Good luck, Tom

Jan 9, 2006, 07:30 AM
    Wow, thanks for the super fast response.
    One additional question. I like the idea of the running trap (I have actually done this before on another project). I assume this type trap is OK to have outside of the building. I am not sure I understand what "although the shower drain line will be open to the air from the drain to the trap" means.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 9, 2006, 09:01 AM
    ' I assume this type trap is OK to have outside of the building"
    That's about the only place they're used.

"I am not sure I understand what "although the shower drain line will be open to the air from the drain to the trap" "

All that means is instead of just a few inches from the drain to the trap seal in the "P" trap you will have X ammount of feet from the drain to the trap seal of the running trap. This will give you more pipe to pick up odor. This is a "trade off" from having to jackhammer up your floor. Your choice, Tom

Jan 9, 2006, 09:03 AM
    I understand, thanks for your information and time. Much appreciated.
    John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installation of a shower stall on a concrete slab [ 6 Answers ]

How is the drain of a shower stall connected to the ptrap that has been roughed in, in a concrete slab during new house construction to make a water tight connection? The ptrap is PVC.

45yr old lead shower stall concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I removed the lead shower pan and cut the lead off around the drain. Removed the drain ,seems to be a 4" to 5" piece of lead pipe down in the concrete I guess attached to cast iron .how do I go about this situation??

Shower / slab / where is the P Trap? [ 1 Answers ]

I am finishing a (walk out) basement bathroom with a slab foundation. The bathroom drains were installed when the house was built, and I have been doing really well until the shower was next in line. The shower drain is a 2" pvc drain protruding up through a cynderblock that was layed in the slab...

Disentegrated (Possibly Lead) pipe in concrete slab for S-trap [ 5 Answers ]

1-1/4 trap broke off level with the slab in my ground floor BR. Listening to bad advise, I tried prying away the remainder of the trap in the floor, now what appears to be soft soft lead pipe has tottally disintegrted and I see down to the dirt and the remainder of the pipe under the slab. I...

Hooking up drain for shower/tub on concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a unfinished bathroom in the basement on a cement slab. The rough in plubming is in place with a about a 12x12 hole in the cement. How do I hook up the drain to the Ptrap. I do not have access from the side wall. Do I need to cut an access hole in the adjacent room?

View more questions Search