Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mollylea Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Low Cold Water Pressure in Bathroom Sink, Hot works fine.
    I have read many of the threads regarding low cold water pressure, but haven't yet found one that specifically applies to the bathroom sink. The house was built in the early 1900's, but was renovated in 2005 so it has copper pipes which cant' be much more than 2 or 3 years. The sink has separate knobs for hot and cold. I think that the problem was relatively sudden. The pressure was fine until I had to have a plumber come and flush out a very backed up pipeline. Soon after he did the work the cold water started coming out very slowly. I thought it might be something simple that I can fix myself instead of calling him back out.

There is a shut off valve underneath the sink... separate ones for hot and cold. And the Faucet Connector is a Brass Craft Engineered Polymer Braid (B1 12AF).

Aside from being able to read and observe what information was asked for in the other posts I saw, I know NOTHING about plumbing, so please give detailed instructions if you can.

Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 11:21 AM
    The plumber should not have disturbed your cold supply by cleaning out a backed up pipe, I'm assuming a drain. However, you never know and it doesn't matter at this point, you need to fix it. Your cold valve stem or cartridge is getting plugged with debris and there are two ways to fix it, both start with closing the cold supply stop under the sink. Remove the bonnet packing nut under the handle and then opening the faucet and keep turning until the stems comes out in your hand. Remove small bit of debris and flush it. Before reinstalling put a towel over the opening and have someone else open an close the stop, this flushes the line a bit. Reinstall and you should be good to go. The other solution is something a plumber would not do but it works in most situations. Shut off the stop and disconnect the line from the stop that goes up to the faucet. Hold a bowel of water under the spigot so it is under water. Take shop vac to the open end of the supply line and suck the bowel of water backwards through the faucet and valve. You may need to cup your hand over the vac/supply line connection.
    mollylea Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Thanks for your response. I'll give it a shot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No running COLD water upstairs in bathroom sink/bath [ 1 Answers ]

I have NO cold running water coming out of bathroom taps . The hot is running fine. This just happened all of a sudden with no cause I can think of. I have both cold and hot water downstairs running fine. The bathroom is upstairs. Can you help me Thanks .

Lost Hot Water Pressure but Cold Water is fine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We had a flood in our laundry room earlier today when the aquarium I was siphoning into the nearby sink started to siphon onto the floor instead (the hose came out of the sink and was draining water onto the floor). I didn't realize this, and suspected a leaky pipe when I saw the water...

Smell coming from cold water in sink and bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I have spent a lot of money on my plumbing problem and still don't have an answer. We added a 2bedroom 1 bath addition onto our house. About a month after we started using the addition we began to have a sewer smell coming from the cold water. We removed alloy rod from water heater just in...

No Cold Water Pressure - Hot works great! [ 3 Answers ]

Usually I know it's the other way around but in our house we have really low water pressure.. but only with the cold. The most noticeable effect is when we try to use the kitchen sprayer with the cold water and it just dribbles out. When we use it with the hot, it works fine. What could be wrong...

Cold water in bathroom sink lacks pressure [ 3 Answers ]

No other outputs affected. Recently, had sprinkler system put in. They cut main line and patched it. At first, lots of muddy water was coming out of sink, toilet and shower. Then all water stopped. They found the debris in the pipe and cleaned it out. All worked well, but now my cold water...

View more questions Search