Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jztpoolinu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2006, 07:50 AM
    Drain Venting
    I recently purchased a house (35 yr old) in which the kitchen sink vent was removed (it was completely clogged). The plummer installed a mechanical vent for the sink drain. That works fine for the kitchen, however when a toilet is flushed, water actually backflows into the kitchen sink. I am guessing the vent servicing the bathroom is also clogged. If this vent is unsnakeable, what are my options?

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 6, 2006, 09:07 AM
    A clogged vent wouldn't cause your sink to back up. You have a partial blockage down stream from the kitchen sink, To unclog this you're going to have to remove the AAV and snake from the kitchen vent. You didn't say but I'll bet this is a second floor toilet that's making your sink back up.
    Good luck, tom

Jan 6, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Unclear on How
    The toilet is on the first floor. The drain line from the kitchen (the line starts at the kitchen, goes approx 20 feet, and there the line from the bathroom connects) looks to be relatively new 4" PCV. It seems weird that flushing a toilet (downstream from the beginning) would cause water to appear in the kitchen sink, particularly if the line from kitchen to where it intersects with the line from the bath is partially clogged. How does that happen (excuse my ignorance)?

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 6, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jztpoolinu
    The toliet is on the first floor. The drain line from the kitchen (the line starts at the kitchen, goes approx 20 feet, and there the line from the bathroom connects) looks to be relatively new 4" PCV. It seems weird that flushing a toliet (downstream from the beginning) would cause water to appear in the kitchen sink, particularily if the line from kitchen to where it intersects with the line from the bath is partially clogged. How does that happen (excuse my ignorance)?

Thanks!

The toilet's downstream from the sink with a tub or shower it could back uo into? Instead it defies the law of physics and backs up a over good two feet of elevation and comes out in the kitchen sink.
    Some where I'm missing something because unless the laws of nature have been repealed water will still seek its own level. What am I missing? Tom

Jan 6, 2006, 11:19 AM
    Starting All Over
    When the bathroom toilet is flushed, a gurgle and small amount of water will come from the kitchen sink (p trap perhaps). The kitchen sink has a new under the counter mechanical vent. I suspect the vent pipe for the bathroom (one that goes through the roof) is completely clogged. If that should be the cause, is there an alternate way to vent the bathroom (without removing the 35 year old cast iron vent pipe).

Thanks & Have a Good Weekend!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Sink Won't Drain - Venting Problems. [ 5 Answers ]

Greetings. I am having drainage problems in my kitchen sink. We just purchased this home, it is just around 100 years old. The kitchen sink does not drain, or technically, it drains extremely slowly (20 hours or so). The main stack is ancient iron pipe: see this image:...

Venting [ 1 Answers ]

How many fixtures can be tapped into the main vent? I have a 2" main vent.

Drain pipe sizes and venting sizes [ 4 Answers ]

1.) What dia. Drain pipe is used for the shower/tub? 2" ? Is that ID or OD? 2.) What dia vent pipe is for the shower/tub? 2"? 3.) I'm going to put a vent in for the shower/tub in my basement. It starts at the slab then goes straight up about 7ft. And then does a 90 and then is running...

Venting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , In the basement , there is a mechanical vent on a bathtub wich tells me its not vented by the main stack. Could the tub be changed to a shower stall. Also wich size drain should the shower stall be?

Venting a tub drain [ 4 Answers ]

How far can I come of the p trap of my tub before venting? It is a 2" line and will be hitting a 332 wye about 8 ft away

View more questions Search