Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JB2107 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Hot water pressure in kitchen sink
    When turning on the hot water in my kitchen, the pressure drops drastically after ~5 seconds and makes a sputtering sound. Water flow is constant but obviously restricted for some reason. Cold water pressure is fine and hot water pressure is fine in other areas of the house. Any ideas on how to resolve this? Thanks for any help.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 02:57 PM
    JB... you have to start with the basics... shut the water off under the kitchen sink and remove the stem assembly from the faucet (if single handle will be 1 cartridge and will need to shut off the hot and cold water, if two handles will shut off the hot water shutoff and remove the hot water stem assembly). Then, check the obvious... is the washer dislodged/crooked/broken into pieces, is there a foreign body.. such as say an old piece of solder or construction debris that finally worked its way into the faucet... you know, that kind of stuff..? Then with some help, I would flush the hot water line... here's how you do it... cover faucet washer loosely with a cloth, then have a friend turn the shutoff back on/off in gentle, short type bursts (careful... hot water).. this will effectively flush the line... AND may even tell you something... say... that you notice no pressure while doing this flush... THEN you will know that the problem is further from the faucet... SAY under the faucet at the risers... can actually hook up a vacuum and vacuum the hot riser to see if you pull anything back... be damn careful here though... water and electricity do not mix(make sure cold water riser is disconnected and faucet is open as well if you try this!! ) OR, under the sink at the shutoffs... here, you would disconnect the solid or flexible supply line from the hot side shutoff to the faucet and would probably have to shut the hot water off at the water heater (shut off on cold water pipe IN to the water heater shuts off the hot water to the house) and would remove the stem assembly from the shutoff itself... again, looking for obvious stuff, then a flush, etc... until you determine cause of low/screwy pressure. ANyway, hope this helps a little!

If my answer was helpful please RATE MY ANSWER! Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low water pressure at kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

I changed out my faucet a couple of months ago and now both the hot and cold water pressure is very low. All other faucets in the house are fine. What can I do?

Low water pressure kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

My cold water pressure is dripping out of my kitchen sink. The rest of the house is fine. Now my hot water pressure is doing the same thing. What should I do?

No water Pressure in kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

Both hot & cold water has no pressure. The kitchen and bathroom are on the same floor in fact right next to each other and the bathroom sink is fine. Please advise:confused:

Kitchen Sink Water Pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I attempted to change out my kitchen sink sprayer hose, when I turned the water back on I get ver little water pressure from either hot or cold water.

Little water pressure in the kitchen sink [ 5 Answers ]

I have lttle to no pressure when I turn on the water in the kitchen sink. The cold it really strong. I am clueless and don't know what to do. Please help! :(

View more questions Search