Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OwlEye Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 07:56 AM
    High Water Pressure
    Hello--
    My house is almost 12 years old. We recently had the bathroom Hot water supply line under the sink pop off causing a "minor" flood.
    Anyway, long story shorter--the house water pressure is around 105psi.
    The plumber who found it high said he couldn't get back to replace the Watts 1" water pressure regulator until Tuesday. Is there any potential problems? I hear water pipe knocks at certain times when the toilet for example has filled and water stops to the toilet.
    Thanks in advance for your help. I have had problem sleeping because I do not know if the entire plumbing pipe system is going to leak all over the place.
    Ron
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 6, 2008, 09:42 AM
    There can be problems if your pressure is that high but at least you know he is coming back to fix it. In the meantime you can close your main when you go to sleep or need to run out. Are you on city or well water?

Jan 6, 2008, 01:46 PM
    We're on city water. If I shut the water off does the pressure reduce even if we do not open a water line? The water heater is still on also--any problems with that? Am I just shutting off the water in case there is a leak? What is my main concern--solder joints?
    How long can plumbing be at this type pressure without a problem? When the pressure regulator is replaced and the pressure is around 50-60 psi, will I have any future (hidden)problems caused by this period of over pressurization?
    So many questions, so many unknowns in my mind, so much lack of experience.
    Thanks for any helping experience.
    Ron

Jan 6, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    There can be problems if your pressure is that high but at least you know he is coming back to fix it. In the meantime you can close your main when you go to sleep or need to run out. Are you on city or well water?
    We're on city water. If I shut the water off does the pressure reduce even if we do not open a water line? The water heater is still on also--any problems with that? Am I just shutting off the water in case there is a leak? What is my main concern--solder joints?
    How long can plumbing be at this type pressure without a problem? When the pressure regulator is replaced and the pressure is around 50-60 psi, will I have any future (hidden)problems caused by this period of over pressurization?
    So many questions, so many unknowns in my mind, so much lack of experience.
    Thanks for any helping experience.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 6, 2008, 04:18 PM
    High House Water Pressure
    OwlEye
    New Member Join Date: Jan 2008

High House Water Pressure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello--
    My house water pressure was recently found to be high--105 psi--the Watts Pressure regulator has died--the plumber is busy and said he would be out on Tuesday. (5 days after the diagnosis) Is this an emergency that requires Immediate attention? Are my pipes going to blow? Will I have unknown small leaks even after the problem is fixed? What do I have to worry about? And longer term be concerned about?
    Everything seems okay at this point except for a few "knocks" in the plumbing especially in the morning when it is cold outside.
    Really appreciate the help!
    Thanks,
    Ron
    You can stop fretting, chances are good that your system won't blow up. 105 PSI is too much for house pressure,(45 to 50 PSI is the average) but your system should hold up until the plumber returns to replace the PRV valve.
    Try not to shut off faucets so fast that they water hammer. With the extra water pressure this puts a strain on elbos. Kick backand relax, you're going to be fine. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water pressure TOO high [ 16 Answers ]

We purchased our house 2 years ago and it is about 14 years old now. I have noticed that the water pressure (hot or cold) is extremely high. It is the same in all faucets: tubs, sinks, toilets etc. We do not get any "banging" of the pipes but it can get crasy with the kids when they turn the water...

Water pressure too high [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a house where share a well with 3 other houses.what would cause the water pressure to keep going up over 100 psi on my gages . I replaced the pressure tank,the cut off switch 30/50 and all the pipes coming in from the well.where do I look next to solve this problem?

Water pressure too high? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I moved into my new house a few days ago and have noticed that the bath tap is constantly dripping. I don't think it is the washers, as when I turn on the sink tap the bath tap leak stops - could this indicate that the water pressure is too high? How do I go about reducing it? Many thanks! ...

High water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I recently changed my water heater and have discovered that my water pressure is VERY high. Upon completion of the installation, I noticed the T & P valve opened. I installed a pressure gauge on an outside hose bib to find my pressure running between 150 - 160 PSI. I have a pressure reducing...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search