Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pwd77 Posts: 185, Reputation: 3

Dec 30, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Change brass fitting on 1" HDPE water service to house
    I have 1" HDPE water service into the house, Vanguard Proguard black plastic.
    Presently there is 3/4" brass nipple inside, held on by two hose clamps. To this is threaded a 3/4" valve followed by 3/4" PEX supply to the house.

I want to change the 3/4" nipple to a 1" barbed fitting to restore the 1" supply to the house.
    I have two questions:

1. What is the proper way to remove the nipple? I have been told to warm it with a heat gun to soften the plastic, swap out the fittings, then replace both hose clamps. Is this correct? Any hints? (Water will be shut off at the main.)

2. I plan to run 1" copper or brass from the new fitting and (1") valve, so I can tee copper to the outside, then convert to 1" PEX to supply the house. Any thoughts on using threaded brass vs. soldered copper fittings?
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 01:12 AM
    In atlanta we use 'flow control' [name brand] fittings for black and grey and blue poly connections. I have seen some use hose clamps but I don't.

Jan 1, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238
    in atlanta we use 'flow control' [name brand] fittings for black and grey and blue poly connections. i have seen some use hose clamps but i don't.
    Can you site a source? A search on "flow control brand fittings" was not very useful
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 11:23 PM
    You also can call a local plumbing supply house

Jan 2, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Great, thank you!

Any other opinions or info out there?! :o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between "Service Pack 2" and "Service Pack 2 v 2096" for Windo [ 1 Answers ]

I M CONFUSING IN WINDOWS SERVICEPACK 2 AND SERVICE PACK 2 V.2096 What is the difference between "Service Pack 2" and "Service Pack 2 v 2096" for Windows XP. Thanks Purendra

Aloha Breeze 54" English Brass Ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I bought model # 99126 Aloha Breeze 54" English Brass Ceiling Fan from Walmart. I broke the glass covering that goes over the lights. How can I get a replacement? [email protected] Or [email protected] Help! Janet Sawyer

How did "street" become fitting name? [ 7 Answers ]

I've asked on other forums, and struck out. Please explain the origin of the term "street" as a type of fitting. I know what one is; I'm looking for the word's entomology.

Changing from metered service on my shop to service from my house. [ 2 Answers ]

I’ve had the meter and 3 wire service cable removed from my shop. I’ve purchased 90 feet of 100 amp direct burial cable to run from the lower section of my home meter to my shop. Not being an electrician, I’m still trying to install this changeover. The direct burial cable has 4 wires. 2 larger...

Sautering 2" copper to 2" brass [ 2 Answers ]

Note sure if this is the right forum... my husband is in construction at work right now and they have asked me to find out how to sauter 2" copper to 2" brass? Is this possible... if so how? :D Thanks for any input. CORRECTION: What material do you use to fill in when sautering copper to...

View more questions Search