Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wesryan Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 12:47 PM
    Sewage Ejector Pump in a Basement
    Hello all
    I am new to this board so forgive me if this has already been asked. I am in the process of adding a basement to our basement. We have a septic system with the discharge pipe about 3 feet above the floor. Several questions. I want to add a Toilet, sink and tub. What all has to be vented. Where do most people tie into the vent at. Anyone have any pictures of their install. Thanks to all.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 28, 2005, 01:22 PM
    Adding a basement to a basement. Now there's a novel idea. (Just kidding, I know you meant bathroom)
    First off let me give you a link where you can shop around for different types of ejectors. Click on; http://www.pumpshop.us/sewage-pumps.html
    You ask about vents. You will need two vents. One dedicated vent that goes directly to the roof from the holding tank and another off the lavatory that you may revent back into a existing dry vent. You will also have to configure your rough in so it will wet vent the tub. Good luck, Tom

Dec 28, 2005, 02:35 PM
    Tom

Can you sketch something out. You are talking in a foreign language with the entire wet / dry venting. My plan was to vent everything into one line and tie it into one of my roof vents. Is this the way to do it.

Wes
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 28, 2005, 05:23 PM
    Wes,

You will need two vents. One dedicated vent that goes directly to the roof from the holding tank and another off the lavatory that you may revent back into a existing dry vent. The drainage will go down like this. Toilet to the holding tank. The lavatory to connect to the toilet drain and a vent will raise out of the tee that you use to pick up the lavatory with. The tub/shower will connect to the lavatory drain and be wet vented by the lav vent.
    I can't give you a drawing since I don't have a set of floor plans and have no idea how you plan on configuring your fixtures. More then happy to answer questions though. One question. Are you sure you have the plumbing experience to get into a major remodel such as the one you describe? It might pay you to hire someone to lay it out and make you a material list. Then I could walk you through the installation. Cheers, Tom

Dec 28, 2005, 06:16 PM
    Ok here is my drawing. Let me know if this is correct. Thanks again for your help.
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Dec 29, 2005, 08:19 AM
    Sorry Wes,

Your lay out don't get it. Let me repeat my earlier post.
    You will need two vents. One dedicated vent that goes directly to the roof from the holding tank and another off the lavatory that you may revent back into a existing dry vent. The drainage will go down like this. Toilet to the holding tank. The lavatory to connect to the toilet drain and a vent will raise out of the tee that you use to pick up the lavatory with. The tub/shower will connect to the lavatory drain and be wet vented by the lav vent.
    Try this on for size. This is a rough drawing of the drainage and vent system.
    You'll have to get in out help to lay out your trench and make a material list.
    As I said earlier, " One question. Are you sure you have the plumbing experience to get into a major remodel such as the one you describe? It might pay you to hire someone to lay it out and make you a material list. Then I could walk you through the installation."
    Your thoughts? Tom

Dec 29, 2005, 09:17 AM
    Two quick questions??

1. Can the Lav vent to roof just be one of those studor vents?

2. The dedicated vent to roof. Can I tie this vent in before I go through the roof so I won't have to drill a hole through the roof or does it truly need to be dedicated.

To respond to your last comment. You are probably right I may hire someone I just wanted to see if I could handle this with lots of help from family and friends. The layout is great!!

Thank you very much
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 29, 2005, 12:50 PM
    Hey Wes,

"Two quick questions??

1. Can the Lav vent to roof just be one of those studor vents?
    Yes.

2. The dedicated vent to roof. Can I tie this vent in before I go through the roof so I won't have to drill a hole through the roof or does it truly need to be dedicated.
    Dedicated means just that. Non stop from tank THROUGH roof.
    The reason being that while drainage and sewer vents pull outside air in to equalize the vacume built up in the drain lines when you flush or drain, a holding tank will belche air out when you flush or discharge into the tank, but when the ejector pump kicks in and pumps the discharge up to the sewer the vent pulls in outside air to relieve the vacume in the tank.
    If you revented the holding tank vent back to any if the drainage vents you would be setting up a closed cycle circulation of sewer gas in your home and that would be a health hazard for the entire family.
    Happy new year! Tom
    plumberbill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2010, 08:17 AM
    You can put a air admittence device i.e. studer vent under the lav it will vent the whole bath group
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 20, 2010, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    you can put a air admittence device ie studer vent under the lav it will vent the whole bath group
    Hey Plumber Bill, (We have a "Plumber Bill" right here in Sarasota.)
    That's not going to work. The diagram is laid out wrong/ There should be a dedicated pit vent to the roof. While a AAV will work as the fixture vent it will not work as the pip vent since the pit vent both pulls air in as the pit discharges and expels it out as the fixtures discharge.
    First off you're responding to a 5 year old dead thread. Look in the upper left hand corner for the date and welcome to AskMeHelpDesk. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ejector pump additional ques. [ 1 Answers ]

I read the post from Wesryan (basement ejector pump). It answered most of what I needed to know, though I still have some questions. I have a split level house built in 1966. The crawl space was dug out and the laundry tub was placed down there. The contractor installed the ejector pump in the...

Sewage Ejector Questions [ 4 Answers ]

I have a workshop located behind my home. The shop is currently using a very old and failing septic system. I would like to use a sewage ejector to pump the wastewater from a toilet, sink and shower (minimal use) in the shop up to the city sewer line that the home is attached to. The shop bathroom...

Ejector pump odor [ 1 Answers ]

I have an ejector pump for our basement bathroom and it seems to be releasing a septic odor. What can I do to eliminate the odor?

Replaced sewage pump [ 2 Answers ]

Please tell me its going to be ok… I found my pump for the septic was bad . It would keep popping the circuit breaker. The tank it was in looks 4 feet wide and 7 feet deep. I would say it had 4 feet of water. I am guessing but I would say the pump was out for at least 2 weeks. After I replaced it...

Sizing sewage ejector [ 2 Answers ]

I am owner/builder in design stage of a new 'log' cabin with basement and just got to plumbing. I will of course hire a plumbing sub-contractor but want to avoid total redesign by 'understanding' enough basics to get it OK on my floor plan. I will post the drain and venting questions as a separate...

View more questions Search