Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wostertag Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 11:46 AM
    Whirlpool tub on slab
    Is it OK to raise the tub about 6"? I'm about 3 feet away from the 2" line in the shower drain stubout, and don't wan't to break up all that concrete. I can get the trap in if I raise the tub 6" (I have plenty of head room). Can I build a 7" high form, fill with concrete to about 6 1/2", set the tub down into the concrete, trap directly under the tailpiece, and run 1 1/2" about 3 feet over and down into the shower drain stubout (horizontal)?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 28, 2005, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wostertag
    Is it ok to raise the tub about 6"? I'm about 3 feet away from the 2" line in the shower drain stubout, and don't wan't to break up all that concrete. I can get the trap in if I raise the tub it 6" (I have plenty of head room). Can I build a 7" high form, fill with concrete to about 6 1/2", set the tub down into the concrete, trap directly under the tailpiece, and run 1 1/2" about 3 feet over and down into the shower drain stubout (horizontal)?
    Hey Tag,
    Let me make life a little easier for you. Since you may not double trap a fixture, (you already have a trap under the cement) you won't have to platform the tub up that high. All you need is a 1 1/2" drainage ell with a 1 1/2" compression fitting attached ( I assume this will be PVC) coming off the tubs tailpiece, the 1 1/2" horizontal run and a 2" ell with a 2 X 1 1/2" bushing in it to connect to the shower stub up. You could even box in the horizontal run and stubup for a more finished look.
    Sound like a plan? Cheers, Tom

Dec 28, 2005, 01:36 PM
    That would be great! But, I probably didn't explain myself well. This is a 9"x12" "hole" in the slab with a horizontal 2" pvc pipe capped off with an orange cap about 9" down into the hole. I don't see any trap down there. Local code also says that the trap must be within 18" hoizontally of the centerline of the fixture drain, and I'm over 3 feet away from the " hoizontally of the centerline of the fixture drain, and I'm over 3 feet away from the ".
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 28, 2005, 03:09 PM
    That would be great! But, I probably didn't explain myself well. This is a 9"x12" "hole" in the slab with a horizontal 2" pvc pipe capped off with an orange cap about 9" down into the hole. I don't see any trap down there, would it be back under the slab? Local code also says that the trap must be within 18" hoizontally of the centerline of the fixture drain, and I'm over 3 feet away from the "hole".
    OK, You have a tub dap out with no trap instead of a shower raiser. Your options have just dropped to zero. I have good news and I have bad news.
    The good news is that you don't have to platform the tub, it can set on the floor. The bad news is that you're going to hafta take a cement saw and trench over to the tub drain, cut out another tub dap out hole, couple on to that 2" horizontal pipe and install a trap and raiser. That will put your project back in code and give you a much better drainage set up then the one I originally gave you. Have fun, Tom

Dec 28, 2005, 03:40 PM
    No way I can trap right under a raised tub and send that over to the 2" in the hole? It will all be inside of a tub deck, so it won't be visible at all. It would be easier for me to raise the tub than to remove a wall that's in the way and cut a trench in the slab.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 28, 2005, 04:29 PM
    No way I can trap right under a raised tub and send that over to the 2" in the hole? It will all be inside of a tub deck, so it wont be visible at all. It would be easier for me to raise the tub than to remove a wall thats in the way and cut a trench in the slab.
    Then install a trap and raiser and go back to my original suggestion. This trap must be installed in the tub dap out. If you put the trap under the tub tailpiece you will have built a "S" trap which is outlawed. Doing it the other way will build you a running trap which is acceptable.
    Good luck, Tom

Jan 4, 2006, 09:04 AM
    Ok - going to bust up the concrete. What type of turns would be best. Tub trap will go about 4 ft. south of the existing west to east 2" horizontal (==c , below (the c is a cap)), and about 6" west (so below, I need to go 4 ft. south, then 6" back to the west.

|----|
    |== c | <-- existing dap out
    |____|

___
    | |
    |o | <-- the "o" is where the trap will be.
    |__|

I can 45 degree off of the trap, 45 to get perpendicular to the existing line. Is a 90 degree ok to connect back up with the existing 2"? The existing dap out is in a closet, would this be a good place to vent at (I'm going to more than 8ft from the existing vent with the extension).
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 4, 2006, 01:36 PM
    Hey Tag,

Sounds good to me. While I don't like 90's in drainage sometimes you can't get away from using them. Using 2 45's is best but if you must use a elbo then use a short or long sweep 90. You might consider a AAV,( Air Admittance Valve) "cheater vent" just behind the trap instead of the hassle of running a vent out the roof. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving drain in custom shower, whirlpool tub and toilet on concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am finalizing plans to update a master bathroom that sits on a concrete slab. My question is: can shower, whirlpool tub and toilet drain holes be moved without drilling into the concrete? If so, what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill? I would...

Whirlpool Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool dryer which has stopped spinning, the motor still runs, and it still heats up. I would like to try and figure out what is wrong with it. The model number is #LER7646DQ0.

Installing whirlpool tub [ 1 Answers ]

Howdy, In my ongoing saga of our remodel from Hell, I realized that they (my wife and the Depot Designer) used the wrong dimensions for the whirlpool tub. I need to mount the tub on a platform so that it can be at the proper height. The tub needs to sit 18 1/4" above the level of the...

New plumbing for whirlpool tub [ 3 Answers ]

We just installed a whirlpool tub. We put all new plumbing in for the new tub and now we are having trouble with the water pressure on the cold side. Anyone have any answers?? Thanks

New whirlpool tub in basement [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I are attempting our first DIY remodeling project... adding a bathroom in the basement. The drains are all roughed in and we have gotten most of the supply lines in. My question is... we put in the stringers for the new whirlpool tub and did a "test fit". The drain in the tub...

View more questions Search