Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skolodney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 01:53 AM
    Heat pump out door fan making intermittent loud noises
    My heat pump fan blade sounds like it is hitting chunks of ice and makes a loud noise every 30-60 seconds. There is ice on the outside of the unit. I changed the internal air filter last week. There is an ice/freezing rain storm outside. I have turned the unit off to stop it from damaging itself.

I'd like to turn it back on so I get some heat.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 07:05 AM
    If the fan blade is hitting ice on the unit it is better to leave it off and use emergency heat switch on the thermostat until the ice is gone. This will prevent damage to the fan blades.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace (heat pump) making *really* loud noise. [ 2 Answers ]

Seeing as I don't know next to anything about heating/ac, I decided I'd post here to see if anyone had any idea. The setup is some old heat pump/furnace/water heater/etc, which all of a sudden at around 3:00am this morning decided to make a VERY loud noise. I had to shut it off (the furnace is a...

Intermittent buzz from electric heat pump [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I did a quick search for my problem and couldn't find any answers. I have a Bryant heat pump that is making an intermittent buzzing sound. It sounds like an alarm type of buzz, It sounds kind of like a "let someone into your apartment door buzzer". It only lasts for about a second, and happens...

Loud Heat Pump [ 3 Answers ]

Hello- Our neighbors have installed a heat pump recently much to our dismay. It’s located on the side of there house which is only about 5 feet from our living room wall. Needless to say, the sound is coming straight into our living room. It’s a constant buzzing noise. Any ideas how we can...

GE Clothes Dryer is making loud squeking noises [ 1 Answers ]

The dryer makes a loud squeking noises while running. What can I do to fix it? Maybe replace the belts? I don't know. Thanks for the help. Marc

Goodman heat pump blower intermittent failure in ac [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, hope you can help with this I have a goodman heat pump (package unit, air source) and here's the problem. When the tstat is set to on evap. Motor( blower) waits approx. 10 sec. then engages turn it back to auto waits approx 90 sec shuts off. Now with the tstat in cool posistion fan set to auto...

View more questions Search