Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baldygaz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 12:49 AM
    Installing a 2nd water geyser
    Hi there,

I live in south africa and just started a plumbing company, I recently installed a 2nd water geyser to a large house just to run there 2nd bathroom what has his/hers basind jacussi and a shower and toilet. The main water supply is 3/4 but reduces to 1/2 straight away and that feeds the rest of the house, I'm worried that by having 2 geysers both 150ltr and probably about 15-16 different connections i.e: 2 showers, 2 baths hoses basins sinks and a maids house that 1/2 piping is going to struggle to supply at a good pressure, would changing to 3/4 be worth while or maybe a pump? As a lot of the piping is run under the house and it concrete flooring.

Also instaling a 2nd geyser is 2 PVR valves required? I have balanced the water supply and installed a PVR to the new geyser, but the original geyser has the valve located at the main water inlet supply outside, do you need to balance both cold water supply

And lastly shower has not great pressure (hot) I used 3/4 copper from the new gesyer and had to reduce to 1/2 when it goes through the wall as this was already plumbed in and the bathrooms have been decorated from the old owner also piping runs under the concrete floor! Would changing the supply to 3/4 increase the pressure I would say the length from were I reduced it to the shower mixer is about 3-4 mtrs they have one of those large shower heads, the Jacussi is the same they used 1/2 (instead of 3/4) so this can only be changed when the decide to redecorate as the mixer is mounted in the wall and there's no trap door on the jacussi.

Hope someone can advise

Cheers Garry
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 5, 2007, 06:45 AM
    I'm not familiar with the term "Water Geyser". Sounds like a instant on-demand water heater but does it also have a booster pump to increase pressure? If you have a diagram of one please pass it along. It sounds like you have a volume problem that affects the entire house. First off, a pump, or increasing the pressure isn't going to give you more water when you're in the shower and someone flushes the toilet. Ouch! You have a volume problem pure and simple. I live in Florida where all our buildings are on slabs and when we run in to homes that are undersized with 1/2" pipes throughout I recomend a repipe job. This means running a 3/4" main around the outside of the house and supplying fixtures located on a outside wall through the wall and jumping up in the attic and dropping down to supply the fixtures located on inside walls. We do not install more then three fixtures on a 1/2" branch bto insure a proper mix of volume and pressure. Remember, all the pressure in the world isn't going to do you any good unless you have the volume to back it up. Your thoughts? Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reduced water pressure after installing new water heater [ 8 Answers ]

Quick history: 1. House is about 85 yrs old, two kitchens, two baths, and a laundry room sink near the water heater. Visible water main into the house is copper, however, after the water filter unit (with no filter element) is another foot of copper connected to galvanized piping. 2. Last...

Water pressure died after installing new diverter [ 3 Answers ]

I recently installed new reccessed bathroom shower from kohler. It has single lever diverter. Water is diverted to shower by using knob on spout. After installing it, I found out that water pressure in spout and shower has decreaed by large amount. I can't say if its water pressure or water...

Installing a water softner slab [ 5 Answers ]

I am considering installing a water softener for my home which is on a slab. Is it likely that the main comes to an accessible location within the house (i.e. to the hot water heater) before going to the other locations, or is it likely that from the meter or in the yard there is a tee with one leg...

Replacment of geyser element [ 1 Answers ]

When unsrewing the old element it became tandled to such an extent that it is impossible to get it out. What should I do? Can I unscrew the six or seven nuts taking off the plate from the geyser into which the element fits?

No water from sink after installing dishwasher [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a house that was built in the early 1900s so the piping is really old and I didn't want to chance breaking anything so I went the cheap way out and I didn't sodder anything. I took the hose off from my hot water and added a T pipe that screws on to where the hose used to be. Left side...

View more questions Search