Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjnkc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2005, 10:48 AM
    Covert washer drain to tub drain?
    My downstairs bathroom used to also be the laundry room, but I have relocated the laundry room. I am looking at adding either a tub or a shower unit to the bathroom. Can I covert the old washer drain into a tub drain? I am trying to avoid digging up concrete.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 7, 2005, 11:36 AM
    "I am looking at adding either a tub or a shower unit to the bathroom. Can i covert the old washer drain into a tub drain? I am trying to avoid digging up concrete."

Since both bath tub and shower base traps install under the floor about the only way you're going to accomplish this is to platform the tub or shower and raise it up up high enough to drain into the washer drain pipe. Since water will not drain uphill there just aren't any other options. Sorry, tom
    cjnkc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2005, 12:52 PM
    Would I be able to use a 1 1/2 inch trap for a tub? I figure I would have to build a platform, about 4 inches total height for a tub to put the trap under.. to do similarly for the shower I would have to have a 8 inch platform for a 2" or a 7 inch platform for 1 1/2" (it would have to be in another corner due to the furnace pipes reducing the ceiling level right above the used-to-be washer drain.)

Would I need to run a vent line?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 7, 2005, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cjnkc
    would i be able to use a 1 1/2 inch trap for a tub? i figure i would have to build a platform, about 4 inches total height for a tub to put the trap under.. to do similarly for the shower I would have to have a 8 inch platform for a 2" or a 7 inch platform for 1 1/2" (it would have to be in another corner due to the furnace pipes reducing the ceiling level right above the used-to-be washer drain.)

would i need to run a vent line?
    Use the 1 1/2" trap and drain line. That's how we used to rough them in the old days. If you connect the drain to the drainage tee in the washer line you're already vented. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer will not drain [ 14 Answers ]

Hi- I am hoping someone can help me fix my top-load washer. I washed a cotton quilt batting that fell apart into a thousand "wads" of cotton of various sizes and lenths. I pulled out as many as I could, including some from the drain holes in the washer tub. Now the washer will not drain. I...

New Washer Drain [ 6 Answers ]

I am moving the clothes washer. The new location is against an Outside wall. Can I simply drain the washer hose up and out and back to the ground outside or is something else needed?

Washer drain [ 3 Answers ]

The water drains slow and the water drains from the side of my house (not normal) and now my living room smells. Help please

Washer drain dilema [ 3 Answers ]

First off I am moving my clothes washer, (probably to basement), I have a septic tank. If moved to the basement will require the drain hose to be several feet above the washer to connect to the pipes connecting to the main septic drain pipe, is this doable? I have been told not to drain into septic...

Washer drain overflows [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My problem is that my washer drain overflows during drain down of washer water. It appears to be a 1 1/2" line and is shared with dishwasher and kitchen sink. There is a crawl space under laundry room and trap is located below floor in crawl space area. My drainage system feeds into a septic...

View more questions Search