Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TCCJJ Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Might we regret using CPVC to replace bathroom copper pipes?
    Our 1912 home has had growing water damage to the dining room ceiling. Pitted copper pipes are speculated as the problem (determined by a plumber). It is 34 degrees here (outside) and we are concerned about draining the system for too long. I'd like to go with CPVC but I'm concerned it has to "set up" before water is returned to the system. Copper would be fine, but I'm concerned about the cost. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 07:02 PM
    I just looked at the directions on the can of cement I have. It says let cure 4 hours. Before I went back with copper, I would look at what happened to the old.

Nov 30, 2007, 05:18 AM
    That means the CPVC can be filled after 4 hours? I'm not sure what you mean in your second sentence. Thanks!
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 06:09 AM
    In practice, I have turned the water back on long before 4 hours, but one seldom goes wrong reading and following directions.

If the copper has gone bad, it could be from electrolysis. It would not be a good idea to install more copper without identifying and eliminating the cause of the electrolysis.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 30, 2007, 06:33 AM
    I would definitely replace with plastic. Labman says."
    If the copper has gone bad, it could be from electrolysis. It would not be a good idea to install more copper without identifying and eliminating the cause of the electrolysis.
    Also aggressive water can produce pinholes in copper pipes. Going plastic will remove the threat of both. Good luck, tom

Nov 30, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Thanks so much. In fact, I recently learned it has to do with electrolysis due to old iron piping that was originally used. What a helpful site this has been. All the best to you both.
    plumberjames83 Posts: 99, Reputation: 5

Nov 30, 2007, 07:20 PM
    Pex anyone?
    Way cheap and no glue
    25 year warranty
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 08:36 PM
    I think CPVC and PCV is friendlier to a DIY, and the cost is about the same. It is tough to screw up PVC.
    plumberman Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by plumberjames83
    pex anyone?
    way cheap and no glue
    25 year warrenty

I agree pex is the better way... cpvc is safe to use but I hate it and it freezes up and cracks to easily.
    jaydeepsheth Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 12:26 AM
    I think PPR can be good option.Cheap,Durable & 50 years Product Guarantee

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper vs CPVC [ 4 Answers ]

What are the positives and negatives in using cpvc instead of using copper except for price

CPVC v/s copper for new shower install [ 3 Answers ]

I'm currently installing a shower in my basement and everything has went smoothly so far. My question is, does it matter whether you use copper lines or CPVC line as the water feed lines on a new install? (By that I also mean between the shower head and the faucet) Most showers I've seen in...

CPVC vs copper [ 17 Answers ]

To me, CPVC sure seems easier. Just a simple glue process. Copper however, needs to be soldered. If I'm running water for a bathroom, why SHOULDN'T I use CPVC? Am I not allowed to put it enclosed in a wall? I have no experience with copper pipes, but having experience soldering electrical...

Copper pipes to cpvc: still ground the old copper? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there... again... I have two copper stub outs that come into my garage, one the cold water in, which goes to my waterheater, and one hot water out, to the rest of the house, underground (slab construction). I will be re-plumbing my water heater and adding a bathroom from these lines, but I...

Replace copper with CPVC? [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower and plan to replace the esisting copper plumbing with CPVC, not just for the shower, but for the whole bathroom. Is there any problems associated with doing this? I am much more confident with CPVC than with sweating copper! Thanks

View more questions Search