Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brian ros Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Pilot light problems hot water heater
    Our pilot light keeps going out on our gas hot water heater. I am able to relight it and the burner fires up but hours later we notice no hot water and the pilot light is out again. Help? What shall I try?
    hixton Posts: 146, Reputation: 5

Nov 24, 2007, 10:50 PM
    Is your pilot yellow and lazy if it is your pilots dirty if not your thermocouple could be bad as well as your eco on your firing valve might be bad if that's the case you might want to replace the water heater depending on the age you could have a bad safety in line with the thermocouple
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2007, 11:00 AM
    How old is your water heater?

Most of the time te thermocouple goes bad and it is very easy to replace it.
    melvie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2012, 02:16 PM
    How do you replace the thermocoupler? How do take off the part off at the bottem of the hot water heater that holds it?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 03:12 PM
    Hi Melvie

If you have a closed combustion chamber you'll need to shut off the gas supply to the water heater and then disconnect all tubes (gas supply tube, pilot tube and thermocouple) at the gas valve. Note the tightness of each connection. Disconnect the door by loosening the 4 screws and door gasket and pull the entire burner assembly out through the opening (door will stay attached to all).

Change out the thermocouple and then place the burner assembly back in place. Install a NEW DOOR GASKET as required by law (available at a local plumbing supply store) and reconnect the door and tighten the screws. Attch the thermocouple, the pilot tube and the gas supply tube to the gas valve and turn on the gas to test your work.

Do a quick soap test (20% dishwasher soap solution) over the connections at the valve and then light the pilot and you should be all set here!

Mark
    Attached Images

afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2012, 06:20 PM
    Hello Melvie,

Mark gave you excellent advices I will also add the link below it might help you, Good luck.

John

How to Replace a Water Heater Thermocouple | The Family Handyman

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Water heater pilot light [ 7 Answers ]

PLease forgive me for not giving you the model of the water heater as I am at work and just found this site. So here's the problem... I have a gas water heater and I turned on the hot water and it usually takes awhile to get hot, but it never did. I checked the pilot light in the heater and it was...

Pilot Light on Hot Water Heater [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! My pilot light was out on our hot water heater yesterday and I could not get it lit all evening. I tried again this morning to no avail. I had a friend come over and it started for him. My next question is... does the light stay on all the time? Or will it shut off when it reaches...

Water heater pilot light problems [ 31 Answers ]

Pilot went out, no problem relighting. BUT when I turn up the thermostat, the flame gets out of control and escapes from the two protective doors. It has started melting the plastic on the outside of the tank around the drain valve.

View more questions Search