Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kweb16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Sewer drain smell trapped in my house
    We had a sewer drain clog in the basement of our home. It was flushed, but a foul smell is trapped in the family rm./bsmt. Area and is now throughout the entire first floor area of our home. How do I get rid of this awful smell?
    desgrunner Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Hummm... If the smell has not went away and has moved upstairs you may have further problems. Did a plumber clean the drain or did you do the work? If your drains are all working "well" buy so baking soda (half box per drain opening) and wash the soda into the drain for 5-10 minutes with clear water. But, I still think you have a problem hiding there... Sorry, hope it helps.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 06:17 PM
    I suspect your vent stack is clogged or even cracked. Who and how was the drain cleared? Are there any old fixtures with drains in the area like a washing machine, floor drain or laundry sink? They are all trapped and the traps may dry out if not used regularly, check the floor drain first if you have one. A clogged stack is best rodded from the roof with at least a 1/2" rod.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer smell in house [ 3 Answers ]

We have had a sewer smell in the house for a couple weeks which is getting worse. The smell is not coming directly from any toilet or sink drain. The smell comes and goes. It can be very strong or weak. The basement will smell, and then the smell will work it's way through the walls (the return...

Sewer Smell in House [ 1 Answers ]

My house smells like sewer. It is only 13 years old. The smell comes and goes, usaully when it is ver cold outside, or very warm outside. It disipates at night and reappears in the morning when the first toilet gets flushed. Please help I

How to get sewer smell out of my house? [ 1 Answers ]

We have had a sewer smell coming from the basement for 10 days because the trap in the drain in our 'rough in' bathroom dried up, now that it is fixed, how can we get the smell out of the walls and carpet and sofa? HELP!! Thanks for any advice:confused:

Sewer smell in house [ 2 Answers ]

I get a sewer smell in my house. I had a hole in my cast iron vent stack and replaced it. I still get the smell. There is definitely odor problems at the sewre drain in the basement. Strangely, the problem is worst when it rains or is very humid. My house was built in the 50's and it looks...

Sewer smell in the house [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! We have a lingering sewer smell coming out of our guest bathroom. It was a brandnew house when we moved in about two months ago. The bathroom didn't smell until we started to use that bathroom. We sealed the loose connection on the sewer vent pipe that goes through the attic and raised the vent...

View more questions Search