Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kyleregn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2005, 11:22 PM
    Rough in under slab
    Hey Tom, I am currently renovating my mother’s bathroom; it was very out of date. Here’s my problem, she lives on a slab. I was hoping you might be able to tell me if my changes in the plumbing will work. I have attached two pictures, one of the old plan and one of the proposed plan, I have tried to include all that I am planning to do.
    I have already removed most of the 4’’ slab that was needed, and dug down to the hubs on each drain. Again hoping that my plan will work, I am wondering about a few things. I would like to have the shower straight in with no lip (mom doesn’t get around as well as she used to), I work with a person in a wheelchair so I know I have seen it. Would I pour the part of the slab under the shower 2’’ lower to allow the build up of the pan and tile or do I have to have a small ramp like lip? Also with the drain that was for the tub, what would be the best way to close it off? Can I cut off the old p-trap and seal it or do I have to replace the hub for a single inlet? Thanks for any help. Kyle
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 25, 2005, 07:35 AM
    Good morning Kyle,

I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board. I can see two glaring flaws in your proposed plan.
    (1) You can not discharge a major fixture,( your toilet) past unvented minor one, (the shower). The shower MUST be vented if you wish to keep it there.
    (2) Return bends make poor drainage solutions. With a little patience and some heat on the lead joints you can straighten out the fitting in the stack to eliminate the return bend.

"I would like to have the shower straight in with no lip (mom doesn’t get around as well as she used to), I work with a person in a wheelchair so I know I have seen it. Would I pour the part of the slab under the shower 2’’ lower to allow the build up of the pan and tile or do I have to have a small ramp like lip?"
    You sound like you're going for a tile shower. Sorry Kyle but when you pan out for a tile shower you need a lip to pan to. That's the whole idea of a shower pan. It has to hold water.
    However I might have a solution. You can slope the cement like a floor drain to a shower strainer or a floor drain and leave it bare and lipless and then tile the walls if you wish.

Also with the drain that was for the tub, what would be the best way to close it off? Can I cut off the old p-trap and seal it or do I have to replace the hub for a single inlet?

You can cap the trap raiser and cement over the whole thing. It's too bad you can't just loop the shower drain behind the toilet and connect to the old tub drain. That would take care of your vent for the shower. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depth below slab surface of sewer rough? [ 1 Answers ]

Speedball or anyone who knows, We are trying to design and build a small pool house that will have a bathroom and some kitchen fixtures. Question I have: To figure out the slab elevation (height), what is the vertical depth below the slab surface that the sewer rough piping must be installed...

Incorrectly placed slab rough-in plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

I have a full bathroom rough-in on a slab in an unfinished area of my house. Unfortunately, I have a concern that the waste pipe for the tub has been misplaced. As the pipes stick directly out of the concrete, This may cause quite an issue for me. I have attached a drawing of my rough-in showing...

Slab Rough-In [ 29 Answers ]

I am embarking a project to remodel a half bath to a full bath on the ground floor of a high ranch. (on slab). After getting a couple estimates on the rough-in plumbing, and seeing that they were more than anticipated, I think I am going to give it a shot. I do most everything….framing, drywall,...

Rough plumbing in a slab [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a tub with a center drain, in the basement of my house. We have done the rough plumbing and will soon pour the slab. My plumber tells me that I can not buy a tub with a center drain because of the slab. Is this true? If not how should I set the rough plumbing.

Re:tub on the slab [ 1 Answers ]

Tom, thanks for your help. I am understanding that I would just leave the horizontal run of pipe into the 14"x14" hole and that would leave me enough room for the rest of the plumbing, correct?

View more questions Search