Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melandel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 12:59 PM
    How to cure pipe hammering on sudden start & stop
    :( Used to be okay to shut off water when traveling, and turn back on returning in a couple of weeks. Prior to this trouble that's what we did. Only difference is that prior to last trip we had a fill mechanism replaced by a professional in one toilet. This toilet is back to back with one at other side of wall. Both bath rooms react same way (hammer) with heavy start-stop. Both OK with gentle start-stop. Any suggestions?
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 02:45 PM
    I wish there was a simple fix -- check out these links for ideas

How To Cure Water Hammer - SimplifyDIY - DIY and Home Improvement Solutions

Howstuffworks "How to Repair Plumbing Pipes: Tips and Guidelines"

Please let me know if you need more help
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 11, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Biggsie you got to stop putting up links that don't help. The link you supplied for low water pressure gave 4 options for increasing water pressure. The first advised checking the aerator and the other three advised getting in a plumber and repiping the house. The link on this thread instructs the asker to install a air chamber on the offending fixture. We aren't dealing with plumbers here. These are just folk that wish to do their own repair if possible. Let me show you what I want to give our members back when they ask a question.

Hi Melandel,

What you have is water hammer. Let me show you how to make it go away.
    "Water hammer" happens when you abruptly shut off the water. You have at least 40 pounds of pressure pushing the water flow. The weight of the water hitting a 90 degree bend causes the sound that you hear. We put in shock absorbers,(air chambers) to cushion the hammer much like the shocks on your car.
    Back in the 60's we were required to to put shock absorbers,(air chambers) on all bath lavatorys and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will begain to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them in a two bath home. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back.
    You have just recharged your air chambers and saved yourself a hefty service call bill. Hope this helps you out TOM
    That's what they want to see Biggsie. Not a link that tellls them to call in a plumber or repipe their house. Rule of thumb. First explain what's happening and then give them repair options. That's why we're here. To pass on our experience to those who can best use it. Please don't think that I'm being "nasty" or "bossy" but I detect a pattern beginning here and just thought I'd give you a heads up. I consider you a valued asset to the plumbing page and I hope you'll take this criticism as a friendly observation and not mean spirited. Regards, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 11, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Yep, I pretty much agree with Tom here. I read the links and it was like giving someone an encyclopedia when they ask a question. Good plumbing answers are given in terms we simple folk can understand.
    By the way Melandel, it is still OK to shut your water off when you go on trips, it has nothing to do with your problem but be sure to shut down your water heater if you shut off your main.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 13, 2007, 08:18 AM
    biggsie: You assumed all plumbers :We put in shock absorbers,(air chambers) to cushion the hammer much like the shocks on your car.
    No Biggsie, I "assumed" nothing. Air chambers have been mandated by code since the 60's. It only makes good plumbing sense to install air chambers in new construction. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet fills shuts of then pipes start hammering [ 2 Answers ]

After the toilet flushes and fills up Then shuts off The pipes under the house start shaking rattling, hammering Why [email protected]

Anyone have a cure for a broken heart that doesn't involve TV, lube&fingers or sugar? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I'm totally confused... I don't know what I want out of life yet and I don't want this boy that I used to be with but I find myself missing him and I can't get over the fact that he isn't with me I want to start dating again because I'm not hideous I just can't get over him to the point...

Pipe Hammering [ 2 Answers ]

I have a loop of 3/4 and 1/2" copper pipe that makes a slight hammering sound while being used and sometimes when unused but perhaps the hot water heater fires up and pipes hammer. It is not a real loud hammer and it does not bother me but my only concern is, could this slight hammering cause any...

All of Sudden... Computer won't Start! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Yesterday I was working on my PC for couple of hrs. After I was done, I switched it off and left for some work. When I came back and tried to switch it on.. it won't start. No fans wotsoever.. no cpu fan, no chasis fan, no smps fan. I only see a small led lighting up on motherboard....

View more questions Search