Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jj2000 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2005, 08:23 PM
    Platform for garden tub on Slab Foundation ?
    I just purchased a slab foundation home with a shower-only stall in the master bath. I want to replace the shower with a garden tub without jackhammering up the slab.

The layout is such I cannot expand to the sides to allow the tub to be placed in the current location of the shower. (Side wall backs up to the washer/dryer plumbing.) I CAN expand back, making the bathroom deeper. My idea is to put the garden tub farther back and put it up on a platform, starting the platform where the current shower drain is. How far away can I realistically have the tub drain from the current drain, and how raised will the tub/platform need to be?

Jj

Nov 20, 2005, 08:40 PM
    This is not to scale at all, but generally here's a drawing of what I have and what I would like to do... see attachment
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 21, 2005, 12:12 PM
    Hi JJ,

"How far away can I realistically have the tub drain from the current drain, and how raised will the tub/platform need to be?"

Since you have furnished no measurements and I have no idea how far the old tub trap is away from any vent I can't answer that question. The platform will have to be raised to accommodate a "P" trap assembly and allow for slope back to the tub drain. Since you can not double trap a fixture you will have to remove the old tub trap and slope the drain line 1/4" to the foot back to a 45 and jump to another 45 under the slab to connect the new drainage to the old existing drain line. If this job will have a permit pulled and will be inspected you may have to run another vent for the garden tub.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 21, 2005, 12:13 PM
    Hi JJ,

"How far away can I realistically have the tub drain from the current drain, and how raised will the tub/platform need to be?"

Since you have furnished no measurements and I have no idea how far the old tub trap is away from any vent I can't answer that question. The platform will have to be raised to accommodate a "P" trap assembly and allow for slope back to the tub drain. Since you can not double trap a fixture you will have to remove the old tub trap and slope the drain line 1/4" to the foot back to a 45 and jump to another 45 under the slab to connect the new drainage to the old existing drain line. If this job will have a permit pulled and will be inspected you may have to run another vent for the garden tub.
    Good luck, Tom

Nov 22, 2005, 07:18 PM
    Measured Drawring
    Okay... measurements. The back end of the bathroom (past the area where the washer/dryer hookups are) is wide open, so there's room to expand back and to both sides past that point.
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Nov 23, 2005, 04:50 PM
    If the job won't be inspected you can come off the tub drain with a DWV elbo and arm over to the shower stub up and connect with another elbo.
    That way you'll be trapped and vented. The only other way would be to take up the floor and remove the shower trap. You may then connect to the drain pipe and run to the garden tubs trap where the tub ties in. You may not double trap a fixture so these are about your only choices. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving foundation [ 3 Answers ]

Our house was built in 1977, we are the only owners. Our basement/foundations has cracks on all the walls along the cinderblock foundation. We are waiting for an engineer to access the cost of shoring up the walls. Would this be covered by home owners or is the foundation covered under a warranty...

Foundation [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Can someone tell me what is rubber flashing material. That I put against my brick foundation Thanks

Foundation question [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the middle of having a house built with a poured concrete foundation. I have paid for two 30 50 windows in the basement to meet code if I ever wanted to place a bedroom in the basement. The other day my builder told me that the person who poured the basement made a mistake and I now have...

Addition foundation [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any experience with connecting a new crawlspace to a existing block foundation? I know if they are both poured you could use rebar to connect them, or if they were both block you would key the new one into the existing, but is it possible to mix the two?

View more questions Search