Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lordsyrinex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 03:45 AM
    Completely lost
    So... I've never been faced with a situation like this. I currently have a child with a woman who is leaving me for another man. I need to know what sort of rights I have as the father of this child when it comes to visitations/custody and what things I may be faced with in terms of child support. Any advice/knowledge is wholeheartedly welcomed and appreciated.
    blabla96 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lordsyrinex
    So.....I've never been faced with a situation like this. I currently have a child with a woman who is leaving me for another man. I need to know what sort of rights I have as the father of this child when it comes to visitations/custody and what things I may be faced with in terms of child support. Any advice/knowledge is wholeheartedly welcomed and appreciated.
    I have the following tips:
    Have a good, reputable, attorney. You will need him.
    Know what your child thinks of you, and respect his/her wishes. Making the child spend overnights when they really don't want to will stress the poor thing out.
    I don't think you have to pay child support until you are divorced, but ask your attorney.
    Communicate with your wife about housing, belongings, and all that jazz. It'll help.
    Above all, do not say bad things about the child's relatives if they are visiting you. It will hurt their feelings.
    9hththt2 Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 06:03 AM
    I know a situation like yours.
    It also depends on your child’s age. Younger children need more time and attention with both parents (in small blocks) and older children/teenagers can tolerate it but need long blocks with each parent.
    The parent who gets custody has the right to make the decisions for his/her child and to take care of him/her, but that doesn’t mean that the other parent can’t give opinion, see or communicate with his/her child.
    I’m not going to lie… In most cases I know, the mother is the one who gets the child custody. I don’t know your case, so… If she gets your child’s custody, remember, she can’t keep you away from you child. You also have rights and you have the right (like every parent does) to see your child growing up. And that must be a beautiful thing.
    If you are the one who gets your child’s custody, the same happens, you can’t keep her away from the child.
    An advice: You have to be very patient. Try to have a good relationship with your child’s mother because that will absolutely help not only you but also your child. Remember that your child’s mother is living with other man who is not your child’s father – Don’t let him feel like he’s the father, you are. You have to take really good care of this situation because it can be very complicated sometimes. Try to keep up! You should talk with her about the child and about your rights as the father. Do it for your child.
    Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 10, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Several things, first are you married, next are you listed on the birth certificate. If you are not listed on the birth certificate you will first have to file for a DNA test and prove you are the father.

So what rights you have vary by the above. So what you have to do is hire the best attorney you can and sue for what you want.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2007, 09:50 AM
    I agree with the others. In the meantime, if she is being decent with communicating and not spiteful etc... See if she is willing to work out visitation plan with you.

This is pretty much how the Judge would most likely do
    (assuming the mother gets primary custody
    Mother gets child school nights,
    Father weekends
    Alternate holidays
    One week (or two weeks, or one month) each for summer vacation.

If she moves far away
    It would be more like
    Mother gets child during school
    Father gets Christmas vacation and summer

As far as child support
    The Judge will determine that according to your income and it is easiest to have your employer deduct it from your pay.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Are you legally proven to be the father? THis happens by 1) a DNA test, 2) signing an acknowledgement of paternity or 3) being married to the mother at the time of birth. If one of these doesn't not apply to your situation then you need to get an adjudication of paternity. Then you need to file for custody, visitation or whatever else you want. She'll likewise file her own motions for child support, etc. The judge will sort through everything and issue his/her decisions. Remember, the more you ask for, the more you'll get. Start with a good, competent family law attorney.
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Nov 12, 2007, 08:17 AM
    The only thing I don't agree with is the statement that you won't have to pay support until your divorced, married and going to divorce or never married, you will have to pay support right away, in most cases and depending on where you live, the support will be back dated to the time of filing for support.

As far as visitation/custody, What do you want? Every one here has something different for an visitation order. The little things that work well for me may hinder things for you. So think about it and take ideas when you visit an attorney, and yes you need a good one fast.

You might be on good terms and believe you can 'work it out' with your child's mother, but something will happen and you will be in court anyway. I would think that it would be better to get to over with now before she can say "we always did it this way" and you are then ordered to do it like that. Hey, there are some couples out there that can agree on it all and never go to court, I hope for your child that you are like that.

If your not, then think about what works best for you for visitation. How close are you to them? Can you get your child every other weekend, or every weekend, or only once a month? If the child is in school, do you live in the school zone? If so could you share custody in a every other week kind of way or four days one week five the next? Then come the little things... Overnight guests, out of state vacations/moving, drinking around the child, childcare, holidays and birthdays, etc. There are thousands of things. Just have your 'wish list' ready when someone asks what you want for visitation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I lost the love I felt, I lost the only thing that ever matterd [ 24 Answers ]

Wow I shouldn't even be feeling pain like this, I am so use to it! Anyway it all started 15 months ago and like a lot of heart ache and problems it started with a girl. We hooked up at a bar but I knew her before hand. She use to be with a guy I knew back in high school and since I line in such a...

Completely lost [ 3 Answers ]

I feel like I have been through so much so far and I am only 23 I have 2 small kids and I am married but me and my husband have been to hell and back again more then once and I do not know how else to end all this drama excpet by just not being here on earth anymore I know that is selfish but I am...

And now for something completely different [ 84 Answers ]

Yes that's right Boys and Girls, step right up and... Ask Me Anything The Rules Ask me anything you want that isn't to do with this site and I will answer in a style of my choosing. That's the rules done, now what are you waiting for? Ok I know it's on the wrong board, but this is...

Factor Completely [ 3 Answers ]

how do I solve this problem Factor Completely 16x squared - 81y to the fourth

I'm completely lost [ 6 Answers ]

Hi,I just recently got married and I'm for some reason I just lie to my husband about things,I don't know why I do it at all and I don't realize that I did anything wrong till we get into an argument, I promise not to lie again but I still keep going and it made a huge problem for me today,I just...

View more questions Search