Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hedavis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2005, 08:47 PM
    Sewage Smell All Over the House
    I have read all of the forums posted on this subject, but none seem to relate to my exact problem. My dad and I built this house in 2002. The plumber we hired was very good. My plumbing is all in the concrete slab. However, I am getting a sewage smell throughout the house with no obvious source. At first I thought it was coming from the utility room, but now I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to happen in relation to running water. It does seem to be really bad first thing in the morning and late at night. It also seems to be getting worse. We have a septic system and city water. I feel like I am going to pull my hair out because I try to have a clean house and here it is smelling like a sewer. I tried pouring bleach down the drain that is at the end of the line of my plumbing and then flushing it out real good. If nothing else, this seems to have worsen the problem. I'm not experiencing any clogged drains, but I am wondering if maybe my septic system just needs to be pumped. Please HELP!!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 19, 2005, 04:34 AM
    Is there a floor drain in the utility room? Check it out and pour water in the trap. Smells are difficult to track down when you're not there but I can give you some places to start looking.
    If your septic tank is full and needs to be pumped it's possible that a discharge hitting a full tank could send a "bubble" of sewer gas back up the line. It will smell worse at night and early morning before the sun comes out because the air's heavier and the sewer gas will sink down instead of raising. Once the sun warms things up the air raises and so does the gas. Let me know what you find. Regards, Tom
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2005, 08:21 AM
    Smells
    Hi,
    From smelling this myself, there is nothing worse in the world than having these smells in the house!
    I experienced the same thing, and found out it was coming from a shower we hadn't used in a long time. The trap beneath the shower had "dried up", no water in it. When the atmospheric pressure drops, it allowed these smells to come right up through the shower drain.
    I know it sounds like a "long shot", but if you have any drain in your house that hasn't been used for quite a while, pour about a quart of water in it, see if the smell stops.
    hedavis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2005, 09:51 AM
    I think I found the problem
    The drain hose for the washing machine is just sitting in this hole that goes directly to the sewer pipes underneath the slab. There is no seal around this hose, so I think the gas is coming up through it. I opened a window that is directly above this hole and the smell is gone. Does this sound like a normal way to drain water from your washing machine? Is there supposed to be a seal around the drainage hose to keep that gas from coming up through it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell under house near bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

My house has base floors, and there is a bad sewage smell reaking near one of our bathrooms. I checked for leaks even crawled under the house and nothing. Even checked the P-trap to make sure it was full. The smell comes and goes but is most common around hot weather. 2 plumbers have already...

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About a week ago the pump for my septic tank broke. I replaced the pump And everything is working fine now. My problem is that some sewage backed up into my downstairs washroom onto an old cement floor. I have noticed a strong odor in the basement and coming up through the air vents. I...

Sewage smell [ 2 Answers ]

Recently we bought a house. As soon as we moved in we could smell a sewage smell coming from both bathrooms (cannot locate exactly where) and outside the front of our house (seems to be coming from underneath the house). How do we begin to look into this without calling out a plumber?

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old home which this past summer, I was getting a sewage smell. At first is was only happening on a windy day. I'm on septic system, my floor drains in basement are always full with water. I was getting the smell in my sons room through the return air grill.. After I figured...

Sewage Smell [ 6 Answers ]

We have sewage smell that seems to be coming from the stack pipe the runs from the basement to the roof. Here is some back ground on the setup, now I'm not a plumber so bare with me. This is a older two story house, the vent pipe is cast iron and runs from the sewer pipe that goes out the...

View more questions Search