Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crawdad527 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Sewer blockage in basement
    Hi. My house was built around 1926. There are drains in the basement floor and what I believe is an inside cleanout in one room. This weekend I discovered some water near the basement toilet, which I at first thought was from a son overflowing it and not saying anything. But, it happened again last night and the water appears to be coming from around the toilet base (it's old, so I at first thought I might just need to replace the wax ring), but also now looks like it has come up from the cleanout, too. The only thing I can seem to tie it to, and this is a guess, is when my daughter takes a bath (different bathroom - upstairs) and all of that water goes down at once. There's no problem when the rest of the family takes showers and there doesn't seem to be a problem when the washer drains. Thanks for any advice.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 8, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Well it's for sure that you have a partial blockage downstream from the basement toilet. Are you on city sewer or a septic tank? The fact that you can see it at the cleanout cover tells me it's outside the house in the sewer main to the street or septic tank. If on a septic tank then snake the line and check to see if it needs pumping. If on city sewer the open up the clean out and snake from there to the street. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer odor in basement [ 9 Answers ]

Good Morning, I'm new to this site and I so hope someone can help me with my problem. I'm sure I'll have to call a plumber but I want some help in pinpointing the cause as it may be more than one thing involved. I'm a single mother who usually gets hosed when I call in people to fix and repair...

Sewer Smell in Basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I see I am not the only one, but I have a sewer smell in the basement. It is progressively getting worse and I think now the smell is seeping into my kitchen. It looks like the water level in the sewer holes has gone done. I have two opening (caps for each) in the corner of the basement....

Toilet back up/sewer blockage? [ 1 Answers ]

Upon retiring we moved a new home in NC with septic system in 1993. One of the upstairs toilets backed up occasionally, always when we had visitors! (Appx 12 times total.)Later the downstairs toilet adopted the same pattern. The other upstairs toilet has now started to follow the pattern.( Remember...

Sewer smell basement [ 1 Answers ]

What is cause of a terrible rank sewer gas type smell in basement furnace is pushing throughout the house - either the drains or a dead animal in the furnace intake pipe?

Sewer Order in Basement [ 5 Answers ]

My problem is, when we do laundry there is a sewer smell in the basement. The following is a summary of the conditions: Two story home with a half basement. My problem is worst when it is raining. The area were I believe the smell is coming from is very busy. There is a sump pump in the area,...

View more questions Search