Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mark_wooten Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Converting Half Bath to Full on Slab Installation
    I'm just about to buy a house that was built in 2004. On the bottom story, which is built directly on the foundation, there is only one bathroom, which happens to be a half bath as well containing only a sink and a toilet.

I would like to convert this half bath into a full bath by adding a tub. Tearing-up the foundation to access the drain sounds pretty scary to me. I was thinking about installing about a 1 foot raised floor. And underneath the false floor, I could run my PVC and share the existing toilet drain with the bath drain. Does that sound like a feasible idea that would also live up to plumbing codes?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 19, 2007, 06:54 AM
    underneath the false floor I could run my PVC and share the existing toilet drain with the bath drain. Does that sound like a feasible idea that would also live up to plumbing codes?
    Only if you ran a separate vent for the tub. A better way would be to connect the new tub to the lavatory drain and let the lavatory roof vent wet vent your tub. That way you would be avoiding having to run a vent for the tub. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 19, 2007, 07:35 AM
    Mark, Tom can show you how to do the job but I'm going to suggest that you NOT do this job. Raising the floor 12 " may give you room for the tub drain but you still need to reach the toilet drain. Were you thinking of tapping into the vent or what? I have seen many baths built as you describe and each time I find myself asking, " What was he thinking."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting half bath to full bath [ 9 Answers ]

My question refers to a half bath we are in the planning stages of converting to a full bath in the basement. Currently our basement has a half bath with toilet and sink on one half of the basement. There is then a shower on the other side of the basement with the washer and dryer, about 30 feet...

Adding bath drain in concrete for existing half bath [ 1 Answers ]

I want to turn a half bath into a full bath in my basement. Currently the washer and dryer along with the water heater are in the half bath along with the commode and sink. I want to add a bath tub and the lay out of the room is such that the tub installation would probably require less work if it...

Extending a half bath [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! My husband and I are thinking about buying a duplex and living on one side. The side we want to live on has 1.5 baths. However, the half bath is on the main floor and it looks as though it used to be a closet. The sink and toilet are situated so strangely, it's almost impossible to even...

Cutting cement for plumbing 3/4 bath to full bath [ 3 Answers ]

We are currently in the middle of changing our basement 3/4 bath into a full bath. The bathroom is 5.5' by 13.5'. We want to put the sink where the shower was and put a tub/shower where the sink was. (because the space where the shower was is too small for a tub). The old sink drain is centered 4...

How can I find out if my sister is half... or full? [ 9 Answers ]

I met my 15 year old sister recently and many people say she looks like me a lot. I always knew she was my moms kid but never thought she was my dads. They where divorced long ago but not before she could have been concived. I know there are tests that can be taking but is their one that can be...

View more questions Search